How Large Card In Slot 2?

Kumaki

I am curious of how large a card one could put in Slot-2 gfiven the following...

1. Currently using a ReBirth model.

2. Use FAT32 file system (I do not want any other file system, FAT32 is what I am familiar with)

3. Use Slot-2 for DATA only...music and movie files, EBooks, that sort of thing.  No apps or appdata on the card, literally Slot-2 is what I use for MEDIA ONLY.

Now, given these circumstances, what experience does anyone have using cards larger than 32GB, which is what I currently use?

2x Cheap 64 GB cards = Works well

2x Lexar 128 GB 133x cards = Works well

You can format 128 GB cards to FAT32?

And they would work in Slot2 of the Pandy, used as I described?

I still use a 32GB for all my programs and stuff.

What's the problem with Slot 2?

It's the same as Slot 1.

You can format everything up to 2TB as FAT32.

Or even more.

I only care about 2TB as the maximum capacity of DS-cards is 2TB :) .

It's just the File allocation table which is slower and needs more space the lager the Partition is.

If you use Windows you can't. Microsoft wants you to use exFat or NTFS, so they don't allow it.

If you use an external tool (Partition Wizzard) you can format on windows, too.

EDIT:

How could you even use 32 GB with FAT32? :D

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/FAT32_file_size_limit

Last edited by a moderator:
So I could not put that card into a card reader on my Windows computer to drop and drag add stuff to the card if it was formatted FAT32 and larger than 32GB?

Because I curreently do exactly that.

I use a card reader.  I download what I want from repo or wherever...to my laptop...which is windows.

I then put the card in my card reader and drag and drop onto the card.

This is the only way I know how to do this?

does this mean I am stuck with nothing bigger than 32GB?

I have 

2x Lexar 128 GB 133x cards = I can confirm that works well

Just need to find stuff to fill my 2nd SDCard

2x 64gb class 10 LX's here....with extra cheese  :p

I am curious on why  you differentiate slot 1 from 2?

Oh yes and glad you made it back safely. ;)

Last edited:
You could use exFAT if you really like FAT and want less limits. An installer is on the repo.

My problem is this:

I am using a card reader to put stuff onto my card from my Windows laptop.

Can I format a larger card with FAT32 so that it can be used in my Windows machine?

That is my question.

The SD Formatter I have, so far as I know...will only format in FAT32.

I do not even know if any other file system will work with my Windows machine.

So I could not put that card into a card reader on my Windows computer to drop and drag add stuff to the card if it was formatted FAT32 and larger than 32GB?

Because I curreently do exactly that.

I use a card reader.  I download what I want from repo or wherever...to my laptop...which is windows.

I then put the card in my card reader and drag and drop onto the card.

This is the only way I know how to do this?

does this mean I am stuck with nothing bigger than 32GB?
No.

Windows doesn't format FAT32 by default but you should be able to read the card.

If the Card reader doesn't do the job any more get a USB to Mini USB cable and set the Pandora in USB mass storage mode.

That does the job.

Already connected my 128GB card to some Windows computers (XP and 7).

My problem is this:

I am using a card reader to put stuff onto my card from my Windows laptop.

Can I format a larger card with FAT32 so that it can be used in my Windows machine?

That is my question.

The SD Formatter I have, so far as I know...will only format in FAT32.

I do not even know if any other file system will work with my Windows machine.
At work, I just had to install the exFAT filesystem on Windows XP so I could transfer pictures from my 128gb SD card. (camera uses exFAT).

did a google search on exFAT windows XP, and it was the first item on the list, direct download from microsoft.

That is my question.
Windows itself cannot format a card larger than 32GB. There are formatters that will, like the Panasonic SD formatter. You can also use gparted to format the card right on the Pandora itself.While it cannot format such large cards, Windows will have no problems reading or writing them.

I have the Panasonic SD Formatter.

I wasn't aware it could format in other than FAT32 - or that it could format cards bigger than 32GB.

Here's the rub:

I don't want to learn tricky new things.  I want to do what I have always done.

I want to download programs, etc onto my laptop.

I want to take those programs, and move them onto an SD card by way of a USB Card Reader.

It therefore seems to me the card should be FAT32, or else I won't be able to read/write to the SD from my Windows computer.

I just don't want to spend the money on a larger card, only to find I can't use it.

So are you all telling me that the Panasonic SD Formatter I currently have on my computer...will format cards larger than 32GB - and will format them in FAT32 for me, so that I can use them with my Windows 7 laptop?

That is the bottom-line question.

If I cannot do adding/removing programs from my cards the way I have always done it, then I'm not interested.  I am quite frankly afraid of learning new things, once I have an established way of doing something that actually works.

When I bought my 64GB sd cards, the Panasonic SD Formatter would only format 64GB and larger cards to ExFat.  I just used GParted on the Pandora to format them to Fat32.

Now how, exactly do you do that?

Do you format them first, then use this "gparted" or what?

Does this set up partitions, or give you the whole disk in one partition?

I'm sorry to ask these questions, but I don't really know, and I'm sort of afraid of screwing it up.

It should already be partitioned which makes formatting easy. Gparted is a very powerful tool full of a lot of options, way more than the regular Windows formatter, so it isn't exactly "idiot proof" to turn a phrase. That being said, it shouldn't be something to be afraid of, just follow these steps. There's quite a few of them because, as I said, lots of options and power. You don't want all those extra things, you just need these simple things, so I'll do my best to walk you through it.

Put the gparted PND on a card other than the one you want to format.

Run the gparted PND, enter your password, select your card in the drop down in the upper right corner (the left card is /dev/mmcblk0, the right card is /dev/mmcblk1), tap on the partition you want to format to select it. There should be only one, you'll understand when you see the screen. There may be a second labeled "unallocated", just ignore it and choose the big one.

In the menu bar, choose Partition->unmount. This prevents the system from accidentally reading or writing to the card while you're in the process of formatting it. Next choose Partion->Format->Fat32. That sets the command to prepare for formatting. Finally choose Edit->Apply. We have to explicitly apply because we don't want to make a mistake: it gives you a chance to review what you're doing.

The last step is optional: choose Partion->Label, and give that newly formatted card a name. Choose Edit->Apply again to make the label permanent. Eject the card and it should be good to go wherever.

I will say this again: there is nothing to be afraid of. Even if you completely botch the procedure the worst that will happen is the data on that card is gone, which is the end result of everything going right anyway. You can't accidentally format a card that is in use, so the card with the gparted.pnd file is completely safe, and no matter how many times you screw up you can keep retrying until you get it right.

OK...so assuming I get this all done correctly.

Will the large card, 64GB, 128GB...whatever...get read on my Windows laptop thru a USB card reader?

If so, this is something I maybe can do.

I'd just like some bigger cards to accommodate all my movies.

Will the large card, 64GB, 128GB...whatever...get read on my Windows laptop thru a USB card reader?
Yes, if the card reader supports SDHC cards. (Which it probably does, since your current cards are prbably SDHC).

(cards between 2GB and 32GB are SDHC, while most larger ones are SDHC in all but name)

Back