How Far Can I Push The 3.3V?

DCurro

Still Fresh
I modified my 5V power adaptor to a 3.49V adaptor. It's somewhere in the range of a 6% difference. I know 5% is usually okay, but 6%!!! OMFG is my GP2x gunna esplode?

But seriously, what is people's experience with this? Should I be fine with the extra 1.9V?

[EDIT]oops... i meant 0.19V extra.[/EDIT]

Erm, if you modifed a 5V adaptor to run on your 2X and ended getting an extra 1.9V out of it then your going the wrong way :)

Otherwise, yes, the 2X will be happy with 3.49V - a lot of 3.3V power adaptors are not that accurate anyway.

don't even know how to do that XD
nor how much resistance the resistor has to have =P
i don't know much about electronics ^_^

I'm not that brave to tinker with the electronics for the GP2X. Scared that I might fry it.
unsure.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:
I would think you could do it very simply with an inline resistor.

It would have to have a pretty good power rating (depending on the amount of voltage you are dropping).

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/LM/LM317.pdf
Page 4 has the circuit I used. It is paired with a 5V power supply, and my R2 is a fixed resistor. R1 is 220 ohms resistor and R2 is a 390 ohm resistor.

I'm actually having a problem with it and I was hoping someone here could help me. When I connect the GP2x to my circuit, the voltage going to the GP2x drops from 3.5V to 1.75V.

What could be causing this? Is it the internal resistance within the GP2x? I wouldn't dare turning up the voltage on my circuit because I could damage my GP2x. Like I said it starts as 3.5V then a few seconds into the loading screen it perishes to 1.75V. Is this due to internal power consumption or internal resistance?

After I get this working and tested 100% I will post a how-to. It's really simple, I'm first year computer engineering so I don't know all that much yet, so anyone can do this. At the very latest I will get this problem resolved on Monday (in school... yes, summer-school...) where I will have some assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back