How Do You Run Doom At 60 Fps?

Billy Lee

I read somewhere (I think JoyGP) that Doom 2 V9 can run at 60 frames per second and even 80 fps. I have a modded BLU that can go up to 166MHz but it doesn't run Doom anywhere near 60 fps. How do you do it?

Disable the music and it will run at the max fps.

Edit: oh and you might want to use V10 instead.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

craigix posted on Dec 27 2004 at 11:33 AM said:
Disable the music and it will run at the max fps.

Edit: oh and you might want to use V10 instead.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Hey craig, while you're on, I wanted to ask you something.

Have you ever considered allowing doom to have modifications to the actual way it works, like allowing "dehacked" files to be loaded? There is a whole slew of mods that I created that I would love to try out. The files are only a couple of kbs big.

Lemme know what you think? ok?

DSRAA

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried it but it doesn't seem to run at 60fps, even at 166MHz and low resolution. Also, Doom V10 crashes near the beginning of level 2 by the first red door. It doesn't happen on V9.

Billy Lee posted on Dec 29 2004 at 10:50 PM said:
Tried it but it doesn't seem to run at 60fps, even at 166MHz and low resolution. Also, Doom V10 crashes near the beginning of level 2 by the first red door. It doesn't happen on V9.

I've played well past Level 2 using v10 (found it here http://lajulie.free.fr/doom_pwads.htm ). No crashes at all, works fantastic with all wads I tried. And it seems very smooth to me, even with music at 133Mhz.

It may be your wad file that's bad?

agreed... I've tried v9 and 10 and they run 60fps with music on at high res at 133mhz... I've tried doom 1, 2 and the doom 64 wad. Altogether perfect running except for the fact that I got screwed with a BLU + and so get the blue bar at the top of the screen.

The max doom can actually run is 35fps due to limitations in the engine. Or is is 45. Anyway, 60fps is impossible.

Yes you are right about the fps being limited so we just overclocked the engine a bit :)

Its running faster than it should to get the extra fps - i think if you run doom on the pc at the same time the gp32 will accelerate ahead of it, but the gp32 speed is better I think (more frantic).

At 166mhz with the sound off that is maxing the engine, it cannot go faster unless you overclock it if you recompile the game, but then the game just *plays* faster.

When the extra cpu modes were used for the first time that is what used to happen so it would play far too fast, its since been throttled to playable speeds (so ignore the part about 80fps now).

Think of like when an emulator isn't throttled and plays far too fast.

So doom is running as fast as it can, it certainly isn't a limitation of the gp32.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

How come I can't get it running at 60fps? How did bast525 get it to run at 60fps in hi-res at 133MHz? Is it because I have a BLU and not a BLU+?

Well I like playing games at 60fps. And yes, I can easily tell the difference between 40fps and 60fps.

Whoops, I meant 30fps and 60fps. Come on, it's so easy to tell the difference. Are you saying you can't tell the difference in frame rate between Virtua Fighter 1 (30fps) and its sequels (60fps)?

Whoops, I meant 30fps and 60fps. Come on, it's so easy to tell the difference. Are you saying you can't tell the difference in frame rate between Virtua Fighter 1 (30fps) and its sequels (60fps)?

I`m pretty sure that depend on what type of screen you are using. CRT`s have a much higher refresh rate, So you will most probably notice the difference than on say a TFT (LCD) which has a lower refresh rate that has a knock-on effect of smoothing the transition from frame to frame. Much like the LCD on the GP32 does in GPCinema with films with low fps.

Trooper

Back