How Do You Overclock?

Spykez

I found pickles lil overclocking file but I didn't know what to do with it, and I can't seem to find it again lol

yea lol, I actually just found it minutes before your post, but I'm still clueless as how to even run it :p

I'm not a programmer by any means, I'm just a supporter of opensource. (love openoffice on windows)

excuse the hell out of me but reading said readme

Based off code from the libcastor (but does not change the video mode).
This is a standalone binary, it does not rely on any other libs like libcastor.

Usage:
./cpufreq --freq <mhz>
./cpufreq --freq 600

Where <mhz> is the number in mhz

libcastor by Orkie
cpufreq by Pickle

doesn't say WHERE to put it or HOW to run it.

do I rename the file "cpufreq --freq 600" and where the number is change it accordingly or what?

um ok...
lets say you create a folder called cpufreq on your sd card and you copy cpufreq into that folder
the linux os on your wiz see this like this: /mnt/sd/cpufreq (it's called a absolute path)
all applications can be run with something called a script. The contents of one usually look like this:
CODE
#!/bin/sh
./myapp
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Say you want to overclock myapp, you need to run cpufreq before hand. So it would become this:
CODE
#!/bin/sh
/mnt/sd/cpufreq/cpufreq --freq 700 //my overclocking application
./myapp //the application being overclocked
cd /usr/gp2x/ // This part reloads the gp2x menu
./gp2xmenu

Lets look at this line in detail
/mnt/sd/cpufreq/cpufreq --freq 700 is the absolute path where to find the program
/mnt/sd/cpufreq/cpufreq --freq 700 is the application your going to run
/mnt/sd/cpufreq/cpufreq --freq 700 is the a parameter to the application, telling it what frequency to set the wiz to.

Other things only use a unix comptaible editor to make your scripts. Always save them with a gpe extenstion.

If this doesnt help you then im afraid nothing will. Your asking for details that are about very basic unix operations. Learn about linux first then you will know the basics needed to write scripts and run programs.

The readme is extremely vague and un-user friendly, but from what I understand you literally put the "cpufreq" file in the same folder as the GPE executable, and rename it to "cpufreq --freq 600"

It's not a program you launch, but a little extra instruction that you install in the program folder, you put in your gpSP folder or your loquake2 folder, etc.

...Am I right or wrong? I honestly don't know.

Scratch that, I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.
If and when gMenu2x is ready to overclock your apps for you, that'll be the easiest option.

It's not clear to begin with that to use the program, you need to have some basic unix/linux knowledge.

The information is out there: We search for cpufreq and pickle and get this post:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=727279
"I have an exmaple in the ioquake zip if you still dont get it"

So we head over to the archive and download ioquake:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,1,0,0,30,11

Sure enough, q2.gpe demonstrates the usage of cpufreq. So you now have a working example. All you need to do now is modify the file for whatever else you want to overclock and your done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I think I understand now.

Inside the ioquake2 folder, these catch my eyes:

"sdlquake2"
"cpufreq"
"q2.gpe"

Open the q2.gpe in a text editor like Notepad or Wordpad (if you're a windows user that is)
It'll show this

#!/bin/sh

./cpufreq --freq 700
./sdlquake2 +set vid_ref softsdl +set s_khz 22
#for a timedemo run add +set timedemo 1 +map demo1.dm2
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Sooo, you launch the basic .gpe file you wrote, and it opens the sdlquake2 program, using cpufreq to overclock to 700Mhz.

...I think

So if I wanted to overclock any other application, I would write a .gpe file like this?

Code:
#!/bin/sh

./cpufreq --freq ###
./app 
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Along with files "cpufreq", "app" and "launch.gpe", the "app" file being something like gpSP right?

Good guide, but the presence of two GPE files means the app launcher will give you two different files to open.
You should note that the app to be launched doesn't require the file extension.

Back