How Can I Switch Off The Speakers?

Ruthie

Still Fresh
Hi, guys.

Please bear with me while I describe my recent GP2X adventures, a series of problems which I've tried to solve, mostly with advice from this board, but each solution seems to have created a new problem, and I have now reached one I can't find a solution for!
As you tut at my stupidity, please remember that, at each step, what I did seemed like the best solution! :huh:

I've had my GP2X for over 3 years now, and been very happy with it. I use it mainly for playing videos while away from home, and also to a lesser extent to play MP3's and for games.

I run it from Energizer 2500mAH NiMH rechargables - I've got 6 pairs (numbered and used in the same pairings), plus an AC adapter.

Problem #1 - I had noticed that the time of use for each battery pair had been decreasing, and was down to 30 mins - 1h.
Watching a movie, I had a consistant problem that the movie would start, but sound and picture would be out of synch until I stopped the playback, then re-started using the 'resume movie' feature. At this point, the 'low battery' indicator would come on, the movie would play OK, but the battery would run out after a short time.
I assumed that playing the movie properly was using a lot of processing power, and hence battery power.

I wondered if the decreasing battery time was due to the batteries not fully charging, because they were not fully discharged, because their power output dropped below that needed for movies before they were REALLY discharged.

So - fix #1 - I tried re-starting the GP2X with the run-down batteries and using it for low-power uses (MP3 etc). This worked several times, and these batteries when re-charged seemed to last a little longer than before, so I hoped that this treatment would help them to 'recover'.

Then - problem #2 - I tried starting the GP2X one too many times with an underpowered battery, and bricked it.

So - fix #2 - I came to this forum and the invaluable unbricking guide. Found I still had a black boot screen, so it was probably a corrupt file system. I followed the instructions and restored the firmware to 1.01, sucessfully.

This firmware version, even when patched, would not run my movies, however (problem #3). I had been using Firmware 1.4, but could no longer find that in the archive. So, I upgraded to Firmware 2.0 (fix #3).

This DID run the movies, but now each battery set was only lasting a minute of so - problem #4.

At this point, I should mention that my AC adapter is not suitable for use when I'm holding the GP2X, as the connector is very loose, turns easily in the socket, and breaks the connection with the slightest movement. I overcome this problem for flashing etc. by taping the connector and cabel to the GP2X, but this isn't satisfactory for most use.

After more reading of the board, I found mention of different firmware versions having different power usages, due to some switching on unwanted components. However, I couldn't find a clear analysis of which version would be best to use for my purposes.
I also read about Open2X.
I though that, as battery life is a common problem, this may have been one of the aspects addressed by the developers, so upgraded to Open2X - fix #4.

My movies now run well both directly from Open2X and from the Compat environment - the 'out of synch' problem seems to have got better, but the batteries were still dying very quickly - problem #5.

So - I tried to think divergently. I found a post somewhere where someone described better battery life after cleaning the contacts, so I gave that a go. I used WD40 to clean all the batteries, and the contacts inside the GP2X - fix #5.

Now, suddenly, batteries that had 'run out' are powering the GP2X, playing movies, for MUCH longer - no low battery indicator, even when playing movies.

So - I should be happy - problem solved?

No - because I've now found that the external speakers are playing, even when headphones are firmly plugged into the socket.
I'm not sure just when the problem started - it may have been when I upgraded to Firware 2.0, or Open2X.
I don't know it it's a hardware or software problem.
Or did some WD40 'get inside the works' and do something bad?

I don't think it's my headphone socket being loose, as this broke 2 years ago, and I re-soldered it and glued it following instructions from this board. It seems quite firm now.

I NEVER use the speakers - the whole point of my use of the GP2X is personal use, with earphones.

So - how do I switch off the speakers? Is there a software switch? (I tried the 'speaker toggle' app, but this switched off the headphones as well)
Should I revert to a previous Firmware version?
Failing all else, is there a way to physically disable the speakers? I wouldn't mind permanently disconnecting them if it were the only option.

WD-40 is a water displacement solvent. Fine for cars, but I wouldn't have thought it would be much use inside a GP2X, and also contains mineral oil. You should be using something like Isopropyl alcohol instead, which is more suited to the task.

There is a way of disconnecting the speakers in software (Its what the firmware does, or is supposed to do when it detects you inserting headphones), but if you never use the speakers, then by far the most reliable method of disabling them is to remove them, or by pulling the plug from the main pcb (depending on your pcb revision the plug may or may not be used - the wires maybe soldered directly to the board). Disabling them in software may give you a suprise if something re-enabled them.

Thank you for your response!

I used WD40 because, of the household substances I had available, it seemed least likely to do any damage - I considered vodka, white vinegar and bicarb. solution, but, as I did not know if I was removing metal oxides, grease, general dirt, or what, it seemed worth trying WD40. And it does seem to have worked - batteries which were lasting for minutes now last for hours. But perhaps a good wipe with anything is all that was needed.

So, it is most likely that, during the different firmware upgrades, some bit of code that should switch off the speakers has become corrupted? That is what I suspected.

Hmmm. On opening up my GP2X, I see that the speakers and their connections are on the 'other' side of the board, where I have never yet ventured.

There must be a thread here about how to get to the 'far side'....

Thank you!

Thank you again!

I managed to find out how to get to the screen-side of the board - that side-trim of the unit is more flexible than it looks!

My speakers were soldered at both ends, no convenient plugs to undo, so in the end I just snipped through the solder of the red wire where it attached to the board. This has effectively disabled the speakers, but could probably be re-soldered if I ever felt the need.

I hope that now having 2 loose wires inside the GP2X won't do any damage!

Everything is now working well - I think I will keep Open2X in the hope that this has contributed to the increased battery life.

Thank you - another satisfied customer :)

Open2X won't do anything to reduce battery life unfortunately..

The problem is almost assuredly your batteries. Unless I am overlooking it, I see no mention of you trying new batteries. Energizer 2500mah cells from the last few years are notorious for developing high self-discharge problems. In fact, high capacity cells from many manufacturers have this problem. Ever-decreasing material thicknesses in efforts to boost internal capacity caused the problem.

Couple this problem with the fact that the GP2X just chews up NiMH batteries like candy. Even good batteries go bad eventually. My advice is to get some quality batteries and don't expect them to last more than a year or two at most in the GP2X.

Right now I am using these and they might not last 4-5 hours like new higher-capacity batteries, I am hoping they'll last longer overall in the long run:
http://www.thomasdistributingshop.com/MAHA-IMEDION-AA-2100-mAh-Ultra-Low-Discharge_p_199-1080.html

Now, as for the headphone jack detection:
As far as I can tell, GPH did try to get this working in software but I have been inside the code and by experimentation I have developed the opinion that they did try to get it working but failed and just left faulty code in. I disabled it in Open2X with no detrimental effects. I am pretty sure the jack is what actually physically controls turning the speakers on and off. It is probably your jack causing the problems. There is no way to selectively disable the speakers in software.

The speaker/headphone mode icon in Open2X is really a volume limiter. In Speaker mode everything is full volume. In headphone mode everything is an adjustable lower volume, usually 60% or so of max. It is meant to save your ears ;)

Also, Squidge is right, WD40 wasn't really the best choice for the job. I don't think it was stupid to use WD40 ( it cleans well) but it leaves all sorts of possibly-conductive residues). I would have used a plastic-safe contact cleaner or just isopropyl alcohol like Squidge suggested. Contact cleaner is better because it cleans better and leaves a protective film, at least the nice ones do. I once cleaned the battery contacts when my batteries started failing and they started working again for a few days, but quickly went back to the same old crap.

Back