How can I get mupen64 to run better?

thedrummernerd

Still Fresh
I have had trouble emulating n64. The only games that work for me are diddy kong racing and mario 64.

A few things to try:

- Are you running the latest version of the emu? There was a new version that came out just a few days ago!

- Have you set your OPP level to 4 or 5? It will shorten the life span of the processor, but you can use it to get a speed increase.

- Have you overclocked? Most people's units can overclock to 800 without bringing your OPP level up. Mine can get 1GHZ on OPP 5.

- Mupen is still a work in progress. The original emulator doesn't even run a ton of games - so we get what we take.

For my own, personal experience, I've been able to get a few games running. This is all on OPP5 at 950 MHz:

Animal Forest (English Patch) - Crashes on startup.

Banjo Kazooie - Doesn't run full speed, but it's playable, especially after the recent update.

Banjo-Tooie - Crashes during first cutscene.

Diddy Kong Racing - As you said, it runs well.

Dr. Mario 64 - Has graphical glitches that make it unplayable.

F-Zero X - Runs full-speed in-game, and is a blast to play.

Kirby 64 - Has some rendering problems, and crashes during the first boss fight. :(

Legend Of Zelda, Ocarina Of Time - Is choppy, but playable. Reports say the game crashes at some point though (A Temple...?). :(

Mario Kart 64 - Runs almost full speed for me.

Mario Party - Doesin't render the spaces in the right places, but runs full speed otherwise.

Ms. Pac-Man, Maze Madness - Runs perfectly with almost full speed.

Paper Mario - Still not very playable. It crashes in you're first fight with Bowser.

Star Fox 64 - Has some graphical glitches, but otherwise runs great.

Mario 64 - Runs perfectly, as you said.

Super Smash Bros - Runs a little more than half speed, and the HUD objects don't always render, but it's actually pretty playable.

Waverace 64 - Audio plays, but the screen stays black.

Yoshi's Story - Crashes on run. :(

Try my suggestions if you haven't already, and try some of those games I listed (that run, anyways!), maybe you'll have better luck than!

~ Sam

A few things to try:

- Are you running the latest version of the emu? There was a new version that came out just a few days ago!

Actually, I've found better performance with the older (current R1b5+) release for some games.

Also I've found that it helps a lot (with all versions of the emulator) to properly configure the nub sensitivity for the control stick, and have upadted the emulator's page on the wiki with this info.

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies, but I think this is more relevant to the Support section. ;) Moving it now.

Actually, I've found better performance with the older (current R1b5+) release for some games.

Ya, I've noticed there is a win some, lose some with each new update. In the new update, Mario 64 runs slightly slower for me, but games like Smash Bros and Banjo-Kazooie run better. :p

I've had the complete opposite to you, as in mine is completely playable (almost full-speed), but with choppy sound.

Well, to elaborate... If I wait on the screen long enough, I can watch the demo play, but on the menu the screen is black. If I keep pressing start (to get into a race) I can see the map screen, but once I enter a race there is a giant black box that covers the screen. The only way to see what I'm doing is if I pause. Otherwise, I'm blind. XP

Edit: I think this is the first time I've publicly announced that I own a Pandora... I've actually had mine for about a month now, hehe ^^'

A few things to try:

Also I've found that it helps a lot (with all versions of the emulator) to properly configure the nub sensitivity for the control stick, and have upadted the emulator's page on the wiki with this info.

Hi,

I can't find the info on configuring the nub sensitivity on the wiki, where abouts is it?

Thanks

Hi,

I can't find the info on configuring the nub sensitivity on the wiki, where abouts is it?

Thanks
It seems to have disappeared. What you need to do is open the emulator (if you have the latest version you want 'Mupen64 Plus Config') and go to Options > Input Settings. Scroll down to CALIB LEFT[0] and [1] and change those values. For some reason, the default if .5, although 1:1 with the n64 control pad seems to be around .25 (though most people will want slightly more than 1:1 - I have mine set to .29).

At least that's what works for me.

There is a very optimised config file somewhere on the forum, it essentially reduces all the settings to that of a real N64 (resolution etc.).

It helps substantially with speed.

Mind linking me to it? I need to get a bit of speed. Don't care about low settings tbh.

Ya, I've noticed there is a win some, lose some with each new update. In the new update, Mario 64 runs slightly slower for me, but games like Smash Bros and Banjo-Kazooie run better. :p

I've had the complete opposite to you, as in mine is completely playable (almost full-speed), but with choppy sound.

Well, to elaborate... If I wait on the screen long enough, I can watch the demo play, but on the menu the screen is black. If I keep pressing start (to get into a race) I can see the map screen, but once I enter a race there is a giant black box that covers the screen. The only way to see what I'm doing is if I pause. Otherwise, I'm blind. XP

Edit: I think this is the first time I've publicly announced that I own a Pandora... I've actually had mine for about a month now, hehe ^^'

Try the other version of the GFX plugin. There are 2 versions each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Poke, it's funny you should mention the 2 versions, because I've actually always been wondering why the 2 versions cannot be somehow merged together seeing as their strengths and weaknesses differ somewhat dramatically.

What I mean by this exactly is for a new Mupen to be made with both strengths implemented.

Poke, it's funny you should mention the 2 versions, because I've actually always been wondering why the 2 versions cannot be somehow merged together seeing as their strengths and weaknesses differ somewhat dramatically.

What I mean by this exactly is for a new Mupen to be made with both strengths implemented.

I believe that to be the goal, but I guess two versions are provided: stable and "bleeding edge" where hacks and other experimental attempts to improve things are tested. Stable, accumulating tweaks that work better than other, etc.

This is just how I see it, bzfrank could probably offer more insight.

Well, the problem is 50% of people have only used Version A and the other 50% have only used Version B for example, whereas I've used them all and cannot decide which I'd prefer to keep, as I don't want both, really.

I just downloaded Mupen64 today, main issue is the sound cutting out - its worse when theres more GPU things going on. I've tweaked and made Mariokart pretty playable, but some games barely run - I'm guessing its early days and its just a case of waiting for the emu to mature??

Yes, as I understand it Mupen is now more closely tracking the Android version, plus getting a few of its own optimisations, so there should be more to see soon.

Bear in mind this is an old thread about the old version of Mupen which was a bit pants for anything other than Super Mario 64. We now have a compatibility page on the Wiki which you are free to update with any other results you observe, and might give you an idea what to expect when trying a particular game.

For future reference, most discussion of the new build of Mupen64 goes on in the corresponding software thread.

Back