How about a full sized DragonBox branded keyboard using Pyra parts?

Does the idea have any merit?

• Shut up, someone build it and take my money!

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Interesting idea - needs more work to flesh it out.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Meh - might be interesting for my AV room or home computer.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ack! Keyboard thread! Someone kill it!

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • I don't think it would work.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Stupid idea. No interest.

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grench

Forum Addict!
OK, so I had this random thought...

A mechanical switch bluetooth keyboard with full sized non-island keys on the lower 2/3 and the Pyra's nubs, game controls AND shoulder buttons on the upper right/left corners and maybe a smaller number pad in the top middle. Same game control layout as the Pyra. Not intended to be portable. More of a desk typing & gaming & home theater control unit.

Alternatively it could be a normal sized mechanical keyboard with nubs & game controls to either side of the main typing keys. This would make it about the same width as a normal numpad keyboard without the numpad.

Since there would not be nearly as tight button constraints, the F1-F12 could have their own row, etc...

The main idea, though, is a full sized keyboard typing experience on a keyboard that you could pick up by the sides and use as a game controller.

Good idea? Bad idea?

I'm not sure I'd happily pick up a 10x-key keyboard and use it as a games controller.

But if I may suggest a different approach, what about a keyboard that could take a Pyra CPU card. It wouldn't even need to carry nubs if it has USB ports into which you could plug joysticks. Maybe it'll need to have a trackball though to simulate the touchscreen mind you. The idea is it could be a hint back to the cases of old 8-bit and 16-bit home computers, from the Acorn Atom to the Commodore Amiga that used a single box that included a full-sized keyboard. Make it about the same size as an A600 too any you could include a SATA port and space for a 2.5" and maybe even 3.5" drive.

It might even be a good way to sell more CPU boards too, as it might appeal to old computer fans who aren't in the market for a device that looks a little like a Nintendo console at first glance.

My only concern is how much it would cost. My last cherry-mx-based mechanical keyboard cost me around 100 smackers, but they seem to be available from different manufacturers for much cheaper now. Would ED be able to make the keyboard part for a competitive price, then on top of that afford large case moulds, and the other costs from a hypothetical pyra dock without pricing this any cheaper than the handheld version?

I doubt you could hold that keyboard in hands a long time period without getting uncomfortable. Especially your first version, where the center of mass would be in front of your hands.
Your second version probably would work better, but there is still the weight problem. Mechanical keyboards tend to be already heavier than rubberdomes, with gaming controls that might be even more. All in all it would be much heavier than a normal gaming handheld.
OTOH, using arcade sticks instead of nubs might work. That way you could use the gaming controls while leaving the device on the desktop. However, such a device will probably have to be quite expensive.

i will second @Blue Shadow, mechanical keyboards are a bit heavier, so it wouldn't be comfortable to hold it aloft for very long. but say "mechanical keyboard" anytime, you've got my interest.

~1_€ per-key for Cherry, plus design && case. >100_€ each keyboard.
Not sure there would be a market (guess this is the reason for this poll).
Could be nice coupled with a Pyra board powered tablet.
Some kind of a big sister.

But I would really prefer to see @ED work on a dock in first place.

I imagined BT || USB program to use Pyras as a KVM or gamepad.
(Maybe already available for the Pandora).

After that Icontrolpad2 Desaster....
Many People still want a Keyboard with good Gaming Controls for HTPCs,Android Boxes,Android Hdmi Dongles,X86 Atom Hdmi Dongles,Rasperry Pie Projects and and and....
Another good Thing is when your Pyra is in a Docking Station on TV for Gaming,Webbrowsing....
......and it will fit good in the Hands then.

I would buy 2 of these...because sometimes 2 Players want to play :D
Thats because i voted the first...take my Money..but Produce that :p

Mechanical switches are extremely sensitive towards fluids, that's not what I would want from a portable keyboard. A single drop can make your life miserable, especially if the only way of cleaning is to flood the problematic switch with ethanol, on many keyboards you can't disassemble the switches without desoldering them first - if my previous foil-based keyboard got too sticky (which required a LOT more than just a few drops) I just removed the whole top with the keys and put it into the dish washer. I'm really fed up with this overpriced crap, if my VM didn't require an USB keyboard I'd still use my old Fujitsu Siemens PS/2 keyboard...

Why did nobody combine the typical way of mounting keycaps on foil-based keyboards with mechanical switches? It would solve a lot of problems.

How do you expect the ergonomics of this to work?
You can't use it sitting at a desk, since you'd either have your fingers underneath the unit or you'd have to hover over the table, straining your arms like mad. THe only way to use it properly would be sitting back and having it rest on your legs. But then you'd still have to bend your wrist uncomfortably unless the keyboard would have a curved surface, looking from the side like ___/

I'm not sure from your description what you mean? Is it a handheld keyboard or a full size keyboard? Could you maybe draw out a simple drawing on what you mean?
Is it something like the gamecube keyboard?
05d270c28e19aa81cbe2038cc8a7f2b4.jpg

Because that might scratch a niche market who still want something like that. I don't need it thou.

The Pyra has a keyboard,
I'd opt in for a made to measure way to stream video and audio to my tv or monitor and have a regular bluetooth game controller for player 2.

The Pandora's tv out cable is only usable with the Pandora sitting on the desk making using it's controls ackward.
It then also needs the usb hub, wireless keyboard, mouse, game controller etc. Horrible solution but it works fairly well, But, I'd much prefer not having to bring all that to play on a tv set somewhere. Just the Pyra, an extra controller and that wireless video out dongle would be enough.

So a wireless video streaming solution on a proper fitting, low latency, small hdmi dongle, powered by the USB port is what I'd spend money on.

That, and/or a docking station with:

Built in 3 inch powered speakers,
Built in Charger (no seperate adapter)
Built in Power bank
Full size HDMI output,
USB hub, 2 external ports in the back, 4 in the front
Wired Ethernet adapter
Storage room for esata hard drive
And a nice tray I can easily slide my Pyra in while still allowing me to open up the screen, but locking it into place for safe travel.

The rest can be solved with existing USB and bluetooth stuff :)

Oh, and a nice belt carry pouch for the Pyra of course, I'd spend money on that too. :D

I'm not sure from your description what you mean? Is it a handheld keyboard or a full size keyboard? Could you maybe draw out a simple drawing on what you mean?
Is it something like the gamecube keyboard?
05d270c28e19aa81cbe2038cc8a7f2b4.jpg

Because that might scratch a niche market who still want something like that. I don't need it thou.

That is the closest I've seen to what I have in mind with the 2nd description above. BUT - I want to make the sides more compact and the keyboard more rectangular without giant grip horns hanging off of it and far less toy-like. By moving the game controls closer to the typing area and back to the back-side edges of the unit, the natural uplift for the back of the keyboard would create space under the sides for integral grips and provide access to shoulder buttons.

Above I also describe a concept of putting the controllers in the top right/left sides of a more square-like keyboard. It would have roughly the dimensions of 30cm wide by 22cm front to back. Consider a compact keyboard without numeric pad. Increase the front to back depth by about 50%. Grab it by the sides most of the way back and the natural tilt of the keyboard gives room for side-grips and shoulder trigger buttons. There would be a blank space in the top center which could either be filled with a compacted numeric keypad OR conceivably a touchpad. In this case I think that the number pad might be the more interesting of the 2. The 'typing keys' would all be the quieter version of mechanical keys. The upper keys & controllers would all be rubber dome since the longer throw of mechanical keys would be detrimental.

With mechanical switches, yes, this would likely be a $200+/- keyboard. The idea is to make a solid tool, not a toy.

Keep in mind this is idea generation only. It gives us something to consider & discuss while we're waiting for our Pyras. I don't know if anything like my idea will ever get produced, but I think it's a fun concept to consider.

~1_€ per-key for Cherry, plus design && case. >100_€ each keyboard.

Those estimates would work quite well for my home computer version idea. Even if the keyboard+case cost 100 EUR, and the mainboard cost another 100, with the CPU board maybe coming in at 150EUR at the moment - that still makes a total build cost of around 350EUR, which is less than these sort of machines with a full keyboard used to cost.

I doubt the ~1EUR key cost would give you a 100EUR keyboard though, mind you, unless that ~1EUR is significantly less than 1EUR, cos you'd need over a hundred of the things potentially.

That Game Cube keyboard is what I DON'T want. However a computer in a keyboard (Like my old TRS80 or a ZX spectrum) with a Pyra CPU board as its core would be nice.

That Game Cube keyboard is what I DON'T want. However a computer in a keyboard (Like my old TRS80 or a ZX spectrum) with a Pyra CPU board as its core would be nice.

Removing the LCD and adding high quality keys... what you are describing would likely have to cost as much or more than a Pyra.

A stand alone blue tooth or USB controllers/keys only unit as im describing would theoretically be usable with a Pyra or any compliant computing device. It would be far from inexpensive too.

Have you ever tried to use the Game Cube keyboard as a controller? I can't use it as a controller so a separate keyboard and controller is what I need.

My interest in a Pyra CPU in a keyboard is comparable to the Raspberry Pi running a NES emulator in a case that looks like a NES. Something that looks like an old computer running a modern system inside.

I'd rather have a Pyra-like game controller in regular size with a small keyboard on the backside so that you have both available by turning it without having it to be too big to hold comfortably.

I do not want a Device with Pyra CPU as Keyboard.
A Device like the ICP 2 but with Pyra Parts will be Great.
Connect it via USB and you will have a real Keyboard and Mouse with Nubs..
.. or connect it with Bluetooth when you want.
The ICP2 Project was fully funded and showed that many
People still search a Device like this.
This GameCupe Keyboard is simply too big for me.
A Pyra cased Device like this would be realy nice and handy.

Back