hot-mount does not work anymore O_O (SOLVED)

PowerGod

Forum Addict!
I have an USB stick in exFat that was always seen and auto-mounted on /media/sda1

one day the power went down, and the Pandora shut down while writing on it (it was without the battery)

then, after the boot I plugged in the stick and I wasn't able to open the folder... it was mounted on /media/disk ...

I searched for some temporary file called sda1 to be sure nothing was still there preventing a clean mount, and I fount and removed a file in /tmp called somehow .automount-sda1 (edit: /var/volatile/tmp/.automount-sda1)

I tried again to unmount and unplug/plug it and from then it is always mounted in /media/??????2?? (those are not "?", are some other chars not visible from the console) ... and I can't find a way to look in that folder...

Then did a scandisk from Windows, it repaired something, but had no problems reading it.

Tried again on the Pandora and still that /media/?????2?? mount...

Then I mounted it by hand, and in this way it is working without problems

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 -t vfat -ouser,umask=0000the only strange thing I see in dmesg are these (but I think these where always been present):
Code:
[  103.399414] FAT-fs (sda): bogus number of reserved sectors
[  103.399566] FAT-fs (sda): Can't find a valid FAT filesystem
[  103.740600] FAT-fs (sda): bogus number of reserved sectors
[  103.740753] FAT-fs (sda): Can't find a valid FAT filesystem
I tried even an OS Update, all went ok, but the problem is still there while automounting...
Is there something else I can check ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You might try plugging the USB into a windows machine and having windows repair any damage.   That has worked for me when a thumb drive was messed up.

Sorry... on re-read I noted you tried that.  Welll.  Forgive my lack of reading.  Long day.

Then did a scandisk from Windows, it repaired something, but had no problems reading it.

Well perhaps something else is still up with it, If it runs in windows I'd try and back up all the data. Then delete the partition and recreate the partition and reformat, essentially restart from scratch and then copy the data back over. 

Mounting it manually seems working without problems, it has 32GB of things inside, and I don't have so much space in my HD to put those (that stick is actually more capable than my HD... ), so I'll wait a bit to try some other solutions before trying the formatting way...

AIUI, it determines the name to put under /media from the partition label name.  Perhaps the label name got messed up when you lost power?  IIRC the linux automounter puts things under /media/disk if they haven't got a label (or perhaps have an invalid one) - I guess the repair made it valid again, but just full of garbage.

I'd still recommend backing up everything you can off that card, but once you've done that you could try changing the label on it.

This could make sense... actually I never labeled it, I started using it as is after buying... on Windows it was shown with a numeric code, I didn't pay attention if something changed on the label after the issues started.

Okay, that's weird.  Was it a new card, rather than a second hand one?  I don't think I've ever come across a default install with a label on it, and certainly not one that suggests a linux user.

Edit: Perhaps it's more likely that you did a preparatory format of it before you started using it, and forgot that you'd given it that label.

I put it again on Windows, and I've seen it actually had no label, Windows seems showing it's ID... so I added a label, and...

...AUTOMOUNT WORKS again !!!

The only drawback is that even if the label is "sda1", it is mounted as "SDA1"... and I'll need to modify the path of every application that was referring to it...

Anyway I used it "virgin" from the beginning because I had no access to Windows when I bought it, and I didn't know how to label/format it from Linux in the proper way... I feared that the Pandora wasn't able to read exFat partitions (as every large stick comes preformatted), but it worked from the beginning :)

Thanks for the help :)

Back