Host Core Programing ?

IF the GP2X is open surcous it shuld be posible to program both cores is it ??

Can You run 2 programs one one time on the slave core ?? I now th GShot works like this ,, how to make 2 program run at a time ?? Is there a option of playing and listening to music in one time ??

Thanks

Orange Pumpkin said:

Yes, stuff like Picodrive does it.
Orange Pumpkin said:
Can You run 2 programs one one time on the slave core ??

Yes, but thats upto the developer.
Orange Pumpkin said:
I now th GShot works like this ,, how to make 2 program run at a time ?? Is there a option of playing and listening to music in one time ??

It runs Linux, so yes, you can run multiple programs at once. You can't tell it which core to run the program on, but it can run multiple programs on the primary core.

Programs have to be written to take advantage of both cores.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are other people here who know a lot more about this than me (Edit: like Squidge who beat me to an answer by a fair margin, I need to spend less time proof-reading my posts), but to save them time I'll attempt an answer.

Orange Pumpkin said:
Yes, this is possible. It is not however simple.

Orange Pumpkin said:
Can You run 2 programs one one time on the slave core ??
Again this is possible, but far from easy. You would have to write the multitasking software yourself, or at least adapt something to run on the GP2X. Linux doesn't know anything of the 940T core, it doesn't contain a proper MMU and therefore there are problems making it work with Linux.

Orange Pumpkin said:
I now th GShot works like this ,, how to make 2 program run at a time ??
What is a GShot? I assume this is not what you are describing. There are many approaches to multitasking, in this instance the easiest route may be to have the 920T control the tasks running on the 940T. I suspect you don't want to open that particular can of worms.

Orange Pumpkin said:
Is there a option of playing and listening to music in one time ??
This doesn't have anything to do with the 2nd core, any sufficiantly powerful CPU should be able to play games and music at the same time. There may however be problems with different programs trying to gain exclusive access of the sound device at the same time. On a normal Linux machine this is handled with some kind of mixer such as esd, arts or the one that is build into ALSA.

Last edited by a moderator:
No not this GShot it was a program to make screen shots on GP2x don't remember the corekt name but think it was GShot

Was reading the topic only once in a hurry so don't remember where it is and anything else

Ohh... by the way Can You change the CPU speed while using the device ( on-the-go ) ( like in Pandora ) ??

yes, the device can change clock speed anytime. Most people either do it within an application (if the app has a menu to pick it say), or during launching the apps (make a script that sets the clock rate and then launches the app, say.)

jeff

Back