Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haven't seen it, don't want to.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

firefly1201

Bleh.
Website
Visit site
Having just watched the movie version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I must say I love this :D . I think die hard fans of the book will dislike it (stuff happens that's not in the book) but what do you think of it if you've seen it?

hmmm i have to see it!!! iv got it but havent yet watched it. my brother watched it and he said it was ok'ish but hey i reacon il love it, i watched a tad of it whilst my brother was watching it and i saw the robot which hangs around with the other main people, i dont know there names( prototype of a personality or something) it looks kool.
i bought it of a chinese man who sells them for a fiver... :)

Saw it on Wednesday. It is quite close to the TV series in parts. The wool scene is classy :D

I've seen it and it's a cool film :D I haven't read the books or seen the tv series yet though.

Lighten up matt.

I haven't seen the movie yet (the guy I'm supposed to be going with is a lazy bastard) but I'm a big fan of the books. Nontheless, I'm also a big fan of many of the other versions so this will be a movie I take in my stride. It's just one of many interpretations of the same, damn cool story.

Besides. Stephen Fry. STEPHEN FRY!!!

DR Who ain't that bad, sure its not as good as the others, sure it has no continuing story in it and sure the DR Who actor just doesn't show the sinister unconsiuously menacing part of the role, but on the plus side its got Billy Piper in it :)

GP40 posted on May 6 2005 at 11:01 PM said:
DR Who ain't that bad, sure its not as good as the others, sure it has no continuing story in it and sure the DR Who actor just doesn't show the sinister unconsiuously menacing part of the role, but on the plus side its got Billy Piper in it :)

That's an advantage? Well, if you want Chris Evans's seconds...

Anyways, I keep looking back at episodes of the old doctor who and finding many of them to be silly, with inferior humour to the new series, but with far superior storylines. I think if theres anything that the new series has brought, it's well written and superbly delivered dialogue.
I mean, lets face it; other than "EX-TER-MIN-ATE", what memorable dialogue does the old doctor who have?

But anyways, with any luck I can drag 'Veg' to hitchhiker's tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a ver long-time Hitchhikers fan. I gotta say that I really liked the movie. Sure, it wasnt perfect, but it was about the bst that could have been dine with trying to convert such genius source material.

It was always going to be difficult to translate into a film, but I think that they did the best they could.

mattmagoo posted on May 6 2005 at 09:00 PM said:
it is mindless childish drivvel

Please explain.

Me, I really liked what I saw. It sticks pretty closely to the original so you can't go far wrong. Maybe it's aged a little badly, but considering this thing was first published before Star Wars I think that's understandable. The actors do a decent job, too, although I would have liked to see a British female lead...

I guess my only real complaint was Marvin. I just wasn't too fond of the new design. IMHO Marvin from the series looked more suited to the role...more 'depressed'.

All in all, pretty damn good. It's done very well in the US and UK (where it made £4.2 million in its opening weekend...heh), so hopefully they'll be working on a sequel or two.

Huxley posted on May 7 2005 at 12:32 AM said:

Please explain.

I think he means the books are drivel. I disagree, but everyone's entitled to their opinions :)

c0ncept posted on May 7 2005 at 01:51 AM said:

Please explain.

I think he means the books are drivel. I disagree, but everyone's entitled to their opinions :)

I just think the story in general is childish

couple with all their "crazy" names etc. etc.

it just seems like someone tried desperately to rekindle their youth, but ended up coming up with something thats feels like it should be on CBBC

mattmagoo posted on May 7 2005 at 09:33 AM said:
c0ncept posted on May 7 2005 at 01:51 AM said:

Please explain.

I just think the story in general is childish

couple with all their "crazy" names etc. etc.

it just seems like someone tried desperately to rekindle their youth, but ended up coming up with something thats feels like it should be on CBBC

The book is a discussion of both the search for truth, and the futility for the search for truth because of the ignorance of humanity placed side by side. If you can't see past the '"crazy" names', then you've really missed the point of the book.

As a stand alone film it was fantastic (I nearly orgasmed when I saw the planet construction yard) but as a tribute to the book it was a little flaky, but I guess that will always be the case with something where you've had a mental image stuck in your head for so long to compare with. (am I making sense today....hung over)

The guide was brilliantly presented though and hats off to Stephen Fry for a brilliant presentation of it.

Back