High Score Web Site

jbrodack

gp2x fan
Website
jbrodack.googlepages.com
I think it would be really cool and bring more of a community around homebrew games if there was a web site set up that would list the high scores for various homebrew games. which would mean the games would have to either be a port or a gp2x original and not an emulator or interpreter.

some games it would be cool to have this for:

vektar
tilematch
minigame project
extender stand alone version
spout
rockdodger
noiz2sa
freedroid
ohthehumanity
ladykiller
zooov

plus any other game that keeps track of your score. only thing is the high score would need to be verified somehow even though the process wouldn't have to be too elaborate since this would be just for fun.

it would bring a competitive edge to the great single player homebrew we have on the gp2x.

so only one person thinks this is a good idea?

well it would be a decent amount of work for whoever hosted the site but i think something like this would really benefit the gp2x community and give some much needed extra attention to gp2x homebrew.

there has got to be someone here willing to host a website like this.

jbrodack posted on Jul 4 2006 at 05:05 PM said:
so only one person thinks this is a good idea?

well it would be a decent amount of work for whoever hosted the site but i think something like this would really benefit the gp2x community and give some much needed extra attention to gp2x homebrew.

there has got to be someone here willing to host a website like this.
i have experience coding sites and would be up for the challenge! however I have no hosting =/

gd idea tho =o

Last edited by a moderator:
^RaZ posted on Jul 4 2006 at 07:50 PM said:
i have experience coding sites and would be up for the challenge! however I have no hosting =/
I could give you some hosting, atleast until it grows too big ;) Server is on my own inet connection, so not a huge amount of bandwidth. Not sure how many people it would attract...

ok we have someone willing to run the site and an offer for hosting. would anyone be able to offer definite reliable hosting. I don't think much space would be needed but depending on how popular the site would become it could require a decent amount of bandwidth.

I really want to see this happen. so if you can contribute to this in any way or even if you have any ideas on how to implement the site feel free to do so.

I dont understand how this would work! Would games have to have some kind of un-hackable score generator that gets uploaded?...there's always someone who will cheat the system. Otherwise I got 2,000,000 on vektar <_<

I have my own virtual server which I resell space to my employer and designers. I dont make a big deal of it though as it's just to people I know generally. So I am willing to donate some space. I can setup cpanel access to anyone who's interested. It's a good server and very fast and reliable. Only had 4 hours of downtime since March.

I used to be a freelance web developer but living in the south west of UK are the tightest business owners on the planet who think a bepsoke system that takes 8 weeks to develop should cost a fiver.

semyaza posted on Jul 7 2006 at 08:24 AM said:
I dont understand how this would work! Would games have to have some kind of un-hackable score generator that gets uploaded?...there's always someone who will cheat the system. Otherwise I got 2,000,000 on vektar <_<

I have my own virtual server which I resell space to my employer and designers. I dont make a big deal of it though as it's just to people I know generally. So I am willing to donate some space. I can setup cpanel access to anyone who's interested. It's a good server and very fast and reliable. Only had 4 hours of downtime since March.

I used to be a freelance web developer but living in the south west of UK are the tightest business owners on the planet who think a bepsoke system that takes 8 weeks to develop should cost a fiver.
Use a form of encryption, like Spout does I believe.

devs making the high scores encrypted would be best but besides that all I can think of would be people sending in screenshots of their high scores. the person running the site would just have to look out for photoshop fakes but like I said this would be for fun so I don't think people would get too elaborate trying to cheat.

at least thats how I'm thinking this would work.

i've seen games (not on the gp2x as i know of yet) that can generate some code for your high score and u have to submit this code (and score) with ure name. the website will then verify the code to see if the score is correct.

there are a few problems though, one it's probably hackable, the website with the highscores need to incorporate the validation system for each game OR each game should use the same method for generating the validation code. and i don't see either of these happening since either the website with highscore has a lot of work making the code for each game's validation check or as with the 2nd option there's the problem that the same code could be used in other games (unless u include the games name somehow in the validation code) and then there's the problem if source code is released, people could just look up then how the validation code is generated

how about a small ap that generates a code that indicates username score and game? A Dev can then decide to use it or not, although then we need a dev to do this, plus there is the problem of entering name, although a program could script a call to the app and do score and game name without needing to request username, the app could then be accessed to directly upload scores and manage the high scores on a user basis (config could hold username)

sounds like a good idea although not sure on how to keep people from lying about there scores... just honesty? that could work maybe... its kinda said to have to say maybe

I would say easiest way would be screenshot or video. we could have some judges who know how to spot fakes verify that the submission is real and then it would be put on the site.

no method is 100% unhackable but this is a smaller community and the site would be for fun so a method that doesn't require devs to do anything and is easy for users would be best.

I can offer hosting and write it (I suck at web design though). It would be a problem to have to connect the machine to the Internet to submit it. In addition, it would be open source (I would think), so anybody could just cheat anyway. Moderation and screenshots would work and easy to implement.

semyaza posted on Jul 7 2006 at 10:24 AM said:

But there are no cheaters on this forum ;) :rolleyes:

Back