Hero: The Realm A Hack 'n' Slash Platform Adventure

Squarefish

Still Fresh
Hi guys, wanted to let you know of a game that will be about finished in a month, which I am porting to the Pandora.

It's a simple side-scroller, which retro graphics and sounds.

Written in Bennu a very useful game-dev language.

See the Bennuwiki for a rough idea. Also another site for Bennu can be found here (it's down at the time of posting, sorry)

Here are a few of the test levels:

hero-wip-aug2010-1.png

hero-wip-aug2010-2.png

hero-wip-aug2010-3.png

hero-wip-aug2010-4.png

Will contain puzzles of the "find the key" type variety, 8-10 monster types, 4 themes for levels and end of level guardians.

One deficiency, the game is non-widescreen.. so decoratives either side of the screen for Pandora, and wide-fullscreen.

You may also think the game looks a bit "dated". Well I began this project in 2002 (i know).. I really wish I'd finished it at the time, but for love of the game I'm glad I've recoded it!

Between 1/2 months for a full release.

Thanks.

Aaah, classic Monsterland / Monsterworld hack'n'slash :D

Nice :) Looking forward to it.

fusion_power said:
Somehow the player Sprite remembers me onto Wonder Boy, I guess it's how he holds Sword+Shield. :)

I think you'll find thats because is IS the sprite from Wonder Boy. Well Wonder Boy 3 to be exact...the head has been changed

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bennu engine looks amazing!!!

It supports everything I've been looking for in an engine.

EDIT: It even has a Pandora version on the site in the downloads section!!!

Cameleon said:
fusion_power said:
Somehow the player Sprite remembers me onto Wonder Boy, I guess it's how he holds Sword+Shield. :)

I think you'll find thats because is IS the sprite from Wonder Boy. Well Wonder Boy 3 to be exact...the head has been changed

2s7e6wh.jpg

HERE is a sprite I found on the net for Wonderboy 3.

My game is sort of an ode to Wonderboy 3 as it is such an excellent game, I've kind of copied the main game character "HU-MAN" but I made sure NOT to use the original game sprite, as I put a lot of work into it.

Please don't flame me with "because it IS the sprite" :)

Just to let you know people are still interested in your game I'm gonna ask a question...

How's the progress going? :)

Nice to see something made in Bennu again.
You choosed a nice gameplay theme there.
Oh and if people are interested in making sidescrolling games or even strategy games in 2D,
I highly recommend Bennu, you can write everything 2D in it with such ease.

Maybe the Fenix\Bennu section on these boards stops gathering dust
now that people have a nice example what can be achieved with Bennu.

Kordman916 said:
Just to let you know people are still interested in your game I'm gonna ask a question...

It's coming along nicely. Thanks for asking.

More complex levels arising.. solved a little gameplay issue. Though I may have to pause a little because of Ludum Dare #18 Games Competition this weekend!

Probably you'll see a Caanoo version of this game before the Pandora, as I am ordering (the former).

Thanks for the support. I'll post new screens soon!

Squarefish said:
Kordman916 said:

It's coming along nicely. Thanks for asking.

More complex levels arising.. solved a little gameplay issue. Though I may have to pause a little because of Ludum Dare #18 Games Competition this weekend!

Probably you'll see a Caanoo version of this game before the Pandora, as I am ordering (the former).

Thanks for the support. I'll post new screens soon!
I also use Bennu and I was wondering if you were willing to compile a linux version also?

And is this game open-source?

Back