Help My Gp32 Blu 166 Won't Run At 166 Anymore !

mboyko

Still Fresh
I bought a gp32 blu from gp32z.com a while back, it was one that was capable of running at 166 mhz speed. Well, recently it has stopped being able to run at 166. It just reboots usually if I try it, or glitches out. Anyone ever heard of a unit dropping down to lower speeds like that over time? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Like the pencil lead overclocking trick? Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Mark

P.S. I'm running off a 3v power supply so the issue can't be due to battery life

what programs are you running? Can it run 166 still on some programs but not on others?

My old 156 NLU would run 156 on all programs EXCEPT Rylehs F-Emus. Don't know why.

I've heard this before.

It seems that the "top speed" of the gp32's ram seems to wear out after extensive overclocking...

It is not unusual as overclocked PC processors also have a shorter lifespan then processors set at the default speed.

cozmic posted on Dec 13 2005 at 02:23 PM said:
It seems that the "top speed" of the gp32's ram seems to wear out after extensive overclocking...
but i wouldnt call 166mhz "extensive"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the average overclock of most CPUs vs their original potential, I'd say it's certainly significant enough to wear down over time.

e.g. Athlon 2600+ on a good day clocks to the same rate as a 3000+. Get a ratio for that, and that's 2160/1917 --> 1.13. That's about a 13% overclock, if you're lucky. Albeit on a completely different archetecture, so the analogy is fairly shaky.

Now, on a GP32, 166/133 --> 1.25; a full 25% overclock.

It might be sensible with ARM chips in a way it isn't with x86 ones, but it's still a *very* significant overclock! Might not normally be enough to wipe out a CPU, of course... it's just worth pointing out, though, that the proportional clockspeed increase is a lot more than in other overclocking situations.

Tobriand posted on Dec 13 2005 at 03:29 PM said:
Considering the average overclock of most CPUs vs their original potential, I'd say it's certainly significant enough to wear down over time.

e.g. Athlon 2600+ on a good day clocks to the same rate as a 3000+. Get a ratio for that, and that's 2160/1917 --> 1.13. That's about a 13% overclock, if you're lucky. Albeit on a completely different archetecture, so the analogy is fairly shaky.

Now, on a GP32, 166/133 --> 1.25; a full 25% overclock.

It might be sensible with ARM chips in a way it isn't with x86 ones, but it's still a *very* significant overclock! Might not normally be enough to wipe out a CPU, of course... it's just worth pointing out, though, that the proportional clockspeed increase is a lot more than in other overclocking situations.
you have a point there,
but btw. I can overclock my 3000+ easily 20% (all stock) :p.

mboyko posted on Dec 13 2005 at 12:40 PM said:
I bought a gp32 blu from gp32z.com a while back, it was one that was capable of running at 166 mhz speed. Well, recently it has stopped being able to run at 166. It just reboots usually if I try it, or glitches out. Anyone ever heard of a unit dropping down to lower speeds like that over time? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Like the pencil lead overclocking trick? Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Mark

P.S. I'm running off a 3v power supply so the issue can't be due to battery life

If your daring try the pencil trick its fast and simple and my GP32 is running at 180mhz and has been for 6 months, was previously 166 max.

As for PC overclocking someone asked, there are many ways to do this. I would suggest doing a google search.

In simple terms some pc motherboards like my Abit come with a tool (mines called guru) and you can overclock on the fly in windows with the tool.

Some motherboards let you overclock in the bios by changing the FSB (Front side bus) speed.

Some older motherboards require you too change jumpers on the board.

If you are going to tey to overclock get a decent fan as you will need the extra cooling.

Steve.

Angel posted on Dec 13 2005 at 05:50 PM said:
i'm not going to even try then, not worth me breaking my computer.
you will very likely not break you pc by overclocking, you just have to watch out that it doesn't get too hot ;).

Back