Help, If You Can

pike999

Still Fresh
I'm new to the GP2X, but not to emulation etc, so the problem I'm having is starting to concern me. I just can't get any videos to play on my 2x - regardless of format, all i get is 'not recognised'.

I'm after a favour that may help others...

Could someone post on this thread the link to a video file somewhere on the Net that I can download that is KNOWN to work on the 2x, so I can test if my brand new 2x is dead as I suspect.

I'm not asking for a full movie or anything copyright...just a small demo AVI file or whatever, just to test my machine,

Many thanks...

newbiegp2x posted on Aug 23 2006 at 09:28 PM said:
I'm new to the GP2X, but not to emulation etc, so the problem I'm having is starting to concern me. I just can't get any videos to play on my 2x - regardless of format, all i get is 'not recognised'.

I'm after a favour that may help others...

Could someone post on this thread the link to a video file somewhere on the Net that I can download that is KNOWN to work on the 2x, so I can test if my brand new 2x is dead as I suspect.

I'm not asking for a full movie or anything copyright...just a small demo AVI file or whatever, just to test my machine,

Many thanks...

I also had that problem. You need to check if the audio sources aren't OGG or AC3 because the original MP2X player doesn't recognize that.

edit: i see you posted it in the GP32 forum and not in the GP2X forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was quick, but I have a model 2 GP2X. I've just found this link. Could I trouble someone to download thesmall file here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119383/EN-US/

its called: avisample.exe

Run it and then see if the 2 avi that it produces run on the 2x?

For the avoidance of doubt, I just have and neither file will run yet they are AVI and should work, I'm told...

newbiegp2x posted on Aug 23 2006 at 09:32 PM said:
That was quick at but I have a model 2 GP2X. I've just found this link. Could I trouble someone to download thesmall file here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119383/EN-US/

its called: avisample.exe

Run it and then see if the 2 avi that it produces run on the 2x?

Yes i will do that.
Here is a link to the modified videoplayer which support some more formats but which is way slower than its original (imo) :

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,1,0,0,6,1679

Just start it with UTILITY-mode.

Unless i'm just very lucky, everything I download from bittorrent just works fine, lost, top gear, doctor who, family guy, futurama, simpsons. All the usual stuff plus some movies. I've never re-encoded anything.

So it could be your SD card, or you are getting things from sorces using different encoding standards, or all the 'popular' stuff is encoded to a default format.

newbiegp2x posted on Aug 23 2006 at 09:37 PM said:
Well, thats an AVI induustry standard test file from Microsoft - and it didn't run!

I think my new machine might be dead.

Doesn't work here either mate. Standard player says not supported and the modified only gives sound.
GSpot says:

video source: cvid
audio source: PCM

sounds like some old codecs

Ok, many thanks. I'll keep hunting for a file I know works and take it from there.

Much obliged.

I used the 27.8MB AVI ingame video from Nexuiz to test mine & it worked fine (Link's on the top of the page:planetNexuiz).
A little bit dark on the 2x's screen, although it looks great on TV-out.

There's also a good parody video taken from the Elephants Dream film here! You'll need at least a 60MB SD card though, as it's 57MB.
You need the link that say's "High Quality Windows Version (DivX AVI - 57MB)" down the bottom of the page.
Worth the download, as it looks superb on the 2x's screen :)

I'd just like to thank all those here for their help. I've got the demo files you have linked to and they work, so I'll take things from there.

Given the problems newbies have, might I suggest a useful sticky? It could contain

links to:-

A ) A small ebook file
B ) A small video file
C ) A small MP3 file etc

That are KNOWN to work. That way, newbies can check in seconds that their device has full functionality and not fret, freeing up their time to do other things...

Back