Hello New Member

Marty

Still Fresh
Hi forum, i have been reading thru the forum for a few weeks, started off wanting a Pandora Open, but with the price being so high i didn't know weather i wanted it that much, so i decided to buy a Caanoo from Ebay for $112.
I was wondering how the Caanoo goes playing Amiga games that use a mouse, like hero quest/ space crusade and mega low mania ??
Or would i be better of playing games like that with the Atari ST ?

Hi,

I don't have the answer to your Question, but I am also a new member following the forums for about a week.

I cancelled my openPandora order when they started having this last round of production problems (after waiting two years).

And my Caanoo is on the way..
I think I should have gone with the GPH handhelds the whole time and forget about this pandora pipe dream.

The Caanoo looks to be everything I need. Can't wait to get it.
I plan on loading MAME, SNES, PICODRIVE, NEW GEO, NEW GEO CD, and CPS2
-Mike

Welcome to the forum thejock ;) sad to hear about the delay on ur Pandora, i hope they thrive after the developmental stage, they cost a bit of coin, but with out revenue from games sales i can understand why.

Marty said:
Welcome to the forum thejock ;) sad to hear about the delay on ur Pandora, i hope they thrive after the developmental stage, they cost a bit of coin, but with out revenue from games sales i can understand why.

I don't miss the pandora. No big loss.. I wish for a a handheld with a huge screen..I mostly play these things at home on the couch anyway, so bigger is better.. The VITA looks appealing with its 5" screen...Can't wait till GPH releases something with a bigger screen in a few years.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the rate that GPH releases handhelds, it might not be a few years. Of course, if screen real estate is paramount to you, you could go with one of those Chinese tablets - emulation on Android is decent with enough horsepower under the hood (re: in the 150-250USD range), but then you lose the dedicated controls and have to rely on onscreen ones, which lack that tactile goodness of button mashing. :)

And there's nothing wrong with the Pandora as a device, in my opinion - you get what you pay for, which amounts to a pocket computer. I don't have a particular need for a pocket computer, thus I went with a Caanoo.

As far as your question - I haven't tried the games you mentioned, but mouse emulation in the few games I've tried is pretty decent, just takes a bit of getting used to, since it's not entirely intuitive the first time. The touchscreen doesn't seem to calibrate well (or, maybe it's just me) with Uae4All, nor does a screen tap translate to a click, so you'll end up "dragging" the cursor around with the stylus or your finger, then use one of the buttons to click. I know that that may sound tedious, but trust me, it really isn't, and after a minute, you won't even notice.

Of course, you can also use the analog nub to move the cursor around as well, but I figure, hey, it's got a touchscreen, might as well use it.

Outcast, the AtariST emulator, doesn't have touchscreen support at all yet, so you'll have to rely on the nub. Generally, while I grew up with an ST and have much love for it, I found that Uae4All is better, probably due to the fact that it's been under development longer.

You raise a good point about a tablet for big screen emulation on the go.
But i cannot abide by touch screen controls, absolutely not.

I saw some youtube videos of an ipad with imame4all and an icade joystick.
Looks VERY VERY interesting. I'm off to learn more...

First question I have is how is ipad1 for imame? Or do I need the faster ipad 2??

Off to google.

EDIT: Found my answer. iPad1 is not bad, but iPad2 is 100% full speed.
Look at defect #32: http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/issues/list

-Mike

Back