Headphone output sounds muddy

sirthunder516

Still Fresh
Website
retronuggetdev.com
Hi. With my 1GHz pandora, I am having some issues with headphones. Audio sounds incredibly muddy, I don't think it's playing in stereo (it sounds mono). I do not have this problem when I use a USB sound card with my Pandora. Any help is appreciated.

I can record it comparison (internal headphone jack vs USB sound card headphone jack) if it would help diagnose the problem.

Hi. With my 1GHz pandora, I am having some issues with headphones. Audio sounds incredibly muddy, I don't think it's playing in stereo (it sounds mono). I do not have this problem when I use a USB sound card with my Pandora. Any help is appreciated.

I can record it comparison (internal headphone jack vs USB sound card headphone jack) if it would help diagnose the problem.
Very odd. The Pandora sounds great for me. Perhaps you're using low-bitrate source files? The Pandora is quite revealing of compression, as I've found out.

Try using Picodrive with a game like Rocket Knight Adventures or Gunstar Heroes, see if the audio sounds muddy. The Genesis uses FM modulation so the sound outputted by Picodrive will be bit-perfect.

Additionally, the headphone jack is a tad tight, push the headphones in a bit more just to make sure its plugged in all the way. I did that myself on my first day with the handheld. XP

Last edited by a moderator:
And try different headphones.

If they have a headset included, they also might sound weird.

And try different headphones.

If they have a headset included, they also might sound weird.
Thanks! My headphones do have a headset. I used a 3.5mm headset-to-pc Y adapter and plugged in only the headphone side, and it works perfectly now.

UPDATE: It also works if I use a 3 pole 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cord

Is your headset meant for iPhone? Or just generic?
A good way of finding out if your headset is made for iPhone in mind.. Hold down the push to talk button on the headset.. does it clear up the sound?

Yeah, Apple thought they'd be smart and make a "proprietary" connector which was exactly the same as every other standard headset except the ground and microphone lines are reversed. Plugging it into something that doesn't have a microphone is no problem, but plugging it into something that expects a standard headset causes the "muddy" sound you hear.

Problematic is that iPhone is so widespread now that I suspect their non-standard connector is now more common than the standard. Does that make it the new standard?

Gah! Too many standards! Lets make a new one that fits everybody's use cases!

I think that apple's standard is more widespread now. I don't know why apple does things like that, but they do....

So the Pandora has a mic input, just reversed with the ground? Do they make adapters for apple standard -> regular standard?

standards.png

I would think something like this, even though it's meant for the iPhone would flip the ground to the appropriate place for the Pandora. 

Still looking, looks like that only provides a standard 3.5mm output without the mic..

perhaps this.. seems pricey almost would make my own for cheaper.

Perhaps the P2 should have a dipswitch somewhere to change headset mode?

You need quality headphones als screened audio when played through amp.

I use the Pandora as backup to my DJ set up and the sound is true stereo excellent.

Back