Having Trouble Recognizing The Pandora Via Usb

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Has anybody been able to successfully get their PC (running Windows 7) to recognize the Pandora (or the "CDC Composite Gadget")? keeps saying I have no SD card reader on me at the moment and am eager to get something running, so I was hoping I could transfer files via USB, but my computer won't recognize the device :( Is there a driver somewhere that I seemed to have missed?

I don't think this is implemented yet. ED mentioned it here earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really hope this is implemented soon. A rather important function, especially for me as I have a 16GB SDHC card (bought two years ago T_T ) for my Pandora, and no SDHC card reader. (..or Pandora)

Good to know it should be coming soon. I managed to borrow a friend's SD card reader...am I supposed to manually create all the critical directories (if so, what are they again?) on the SD card (or was this supposed to happen on first boot...because it didn't)?

Manually, for now. In the root of the SD Card, create pandora, and then in that directory, create menu, desktop, apps, and appdata.

PNDs placed in "menu" go into the menu, "desktop" puts them on the desktop, and "apps" puts them in both. Settings and stuff like that get stored in "appdata", and those things are usually created automatically, but it depends on the application.

Working on it, maybe it'll find its way into HotFix 2... which I will be able to hopefully release on Monday / Tuesday.

ED: apropos Hotfix 2, can you please add the snd-usb-audio.ko module to the pack, so that it gets installed by default? I've talked with DJWillis about this, it would be very helpful if we could have plug and play USB-MIDI in the OS .. it was supposed to be included in the initial release but got overlooked for some reason. Thanks! :)

torpor said:
ED: apropos Hotfix 2, can you please add the snd-usb-audio.ko module to the pack, so that it gets installed by default? I've talked with DJWillis about this, it would be very helpful if we could have plug and play USB-MIDI in the OS .. it was supposed to be included in the initial release but got overlooked for some reason. Thanks! :)

I also include everything he prepares for me, yes.

Last edited:
I don't try yet, but if card has file system such as ext2, then it will be unreadable under Windows. Right? Is any chance for some proxy SW or functionality, that some pocket media players have, that Windows can access files and directories even on cards with unknown FS?

I guess not, so I rather try install fs-driver to my Win7 somehow anyway.

peca said:
I don't try yet, but if card has file system such as ext2, then it will be unreadable under Windows. Right? Is any chance for some proxy SW or functionality, that some pocket media players have, that Windows can access files and directories even on cards with unknown FS?

I guess not, so I rather try install fs-driver to my Win7 somehow anyway.

Drivers for ext2 for Windows exists (yes with an "s" as there is more than one). But I don't want to depend on this, and you don't want too (trust me)
With Windows, sticking to fat on the sdcard is a good idea.

I don't see why you want your card to be ext2 formated. I dont use windows at home (I have to at work :( ), but still I'm using vfat on my sdcard (to be sure that anyone won't have problem with this and my pnds, but still) Performance problem is fixed since HF2 (or 3, cant remember, but this is fixed)

peca said:
Is any chance for some proxy SW or functionality, that some pocket media players have, that Windows can access files and directories even on cards with unknown FS?
Not via USB, but you can access them on a network with sftp. You could even put the Pandora into network USB mode and connect it that way.
I'm not certain which pocket media players you're talking about, but the ones I've seen that do something like that require their own drivers. I imagine someone could make the Pandora do something similar, but you'd just be swapping one set of problems with another.

sebt3 said:
I don't see why you want your card to be ext2 formated. I dont use windows at home (I have to at work :( ), but still I'm using vfat on my sdcard (to be sure that anyone won't have problem with this and my pnds, but still) Performance problem is fixed since HF2 (or 3, cant remember, but this is fixed)
I want make bootable SD card for messing with OS without messing NAND, and as I don't have comfortable access to Linux machine, I like manage files on card on big computer. Now I use only Pandora
sebt3 said:
Drivers for ext2 for Windows exists (yes with an "s" as there is more than one). But I don't want to depend on this, and you don't want too (trust me). With Windows, sticking to fat on the sdcard is a good idea.
Few years ago I build home PC and install Ubuntu on it. I need transfer files between this PC and other computer with Win XP. I use fs-driver and it just work. Lately my son occupied the PC so much that I stop use it at all. Instead of I take my notebook fromwork (employer permitted). Now I have new notebook and W7 which doesn't allow instal unsigned drivers.

WizardStan said:
..., but you can access them on a network with sftp. You could even put the Pandora into network USB mode and connect it that way...
I forgot that there are other ways! Thanks for light.
WizardStan said:
I'm not certain which pocket media players you're talking about, but the ones I've seen that do something like that require their own drivers. I imagine someone could make the Pandora do something similar, but you'd just be swapping one set of problems with another.
My wife has some Samsung. It doesn't need driver but some desktop media player as Windows media player, WinAmp, Amarok or so. It some communication protocol that's name I don't remember.

I also got an USB OTG adapter today. Now, when I plug the Pandora into my Windows PC, Windows asks for a CDC Composite Gadget driver. Windows doesn't find any and a quick search in Google only gave me result about people having the same problem with a Beagleboard. One possible solution apparently is to configure / build Angstrom to use "RNDIS USB" instead of CDC Composite Gadget (whatever that may mean). Since I have no idea how to do that, it's not something I could quickly do in order to copy files to the Pandora.

Any advice?

Radon said:
I also got an USB OTG adapter today. Now, when I plug the Pandora into my Windows PC, Windows asks for a CDC Composite Gadget driver. Windows doesn't find any and a quick search in Google only gave me result about people having the same problem with a Beagleboard. One possible solution apparently is to configure / build Angstrom to use "RNDIS USB" instead of CDC Composite Gadget (whatever that may mean). Since I have no idea how to do that, it's not something I could quickly do in order to copy files to the Pandora.

Any advice?

You have to choose the option to go into USB mode before plugging it into your computer. It's in the System menu on Xfce, I believe.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
You have to choose the option to go into USB mode before plugging it into your computer. It's in the System menu on Xfce, I believe.

-God Ginrai

Ah yes, thanks. Now it works :)

Back