Have You Encountered Any Defects On Your Pandora So Far?

Does your Pandora suffer from any hardware defects?

• Total voters

First Pandora:

Screen Bezel - Poor Fit
Shoulder Buttons - not working consistantly
One of the gaming buttons was sticky
Both Nubs not working correctly

Replacement Pandora

Screen Bezel - Poor Fit
USB Port not recognizing anything ( Still unsure if this is a hardware issue or not )
Case not painted well - some unpainted portions on edge of screen case

Mr Loon said:
craigix said:
The cracks in the case don't happen here, I'm wondering if they happen during shipping.
There was no crack visible when I received my Pandora, it became visible after two or three weeks of my receipt of the Pandora.

Then the solution is to make the plastic thicker around the place where the crack appears. IF there is place inside the case for a thicker plastic. That would be changing mould tough. Fortunately in the "easy" direction - make the mould thinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have received my Pandora about a week ago. Had issues with the nubs (didn't responded like they should), that has improved after a couple of days of playing around with them. The left nub still doesn't seem to react very responsive all the time, but I don't play that much FPS so for now it is not a real problem.
Build quality is okay, right shoulder button is a bit loose and there is some space ( 1 mm) between the lid and keyboard on the left side. Battery lid doesn't fit 100% as well.
For me these are minor issues I don't care about aesthetics if it works it is fine with me, but it might help people to determine the quality they can expect.

I consider one of my issues a bit more problematic though. It is very likely to be a hardware failure, and I am hoping there is a way to solve this myself. One of the buttons on the keyboard doesn't respond (the select/ctrl button). This is the button often used to select a menu in an emulator, so I really need it. Already created a topic in the help section.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56400-select-ctrl-button-doesnt-respond/

Pandora is send to me by ED and should have had the latest quality checks. I know they are trying their best and this small device has a lot of parts that can fail.

Minor things, I guess:

• Bezel, is there anything I can do to improve it even a little bit? I'm scared of the amount of dust that will get in there...
  • The right trigger is a bit loose... Shouldn't be a problem, but I don't really use it right now. Suggestions for testing it?
  • Missing screws on the bottom of the unit... no Biggie, they should be enroute.
How can I properly test the nubs? I have trouble with using it for mouse clicks, but I don't know if I just have to adjust sensitivity.

Perky_Goth said:
How can I properly test the nubs? I have trouble with using it for mouse clicks, but I don't know if I just have to adjust sensitivity.
Use the nub settings (under the settings menu) to set them both to joystick mode, and then start a terminal and type "op_test_inputs"
A "keyboard" will show up and lights up as you push buttons or move the sticks. The motions of the circles representing the sticks on screen should be fluid. My one nubber causes "jumps" on the right nub, as it should since that's the bad nub.
When you're done, press the L and R triggers at the same time to quit back to the terminal. Don't forget to reset the nub modes back to mouse and buttons.

I voted no defects - I have the bezel issue everyone does, but otherwise, fingers crossed all is well.

Clearly this is a waste of space of a post, but just to show that as a new unit (received a couple of days ago) the quality control seems to be improving.

andyB911 said:
I voted no defects - I have the bezel issue everyone does, but otherwise, fingers crossed all is well.

Clearly this is a waste of space of a post, but just to show that as a new unit (received a couple of days ago) the quality control seems to be improving.

Certainly not a wast of space, it is good to read some success stories :)

It should be nice to see the percentage "no hardware faults" increase, but there are still a few Pandoras sent in August that have issues (mine being one of them).
In a good production environment 100% end of line quality control shouldn't be needed to ensure a good quality. There is definitely something wrong, but I guess OPT knows that as well and it is vital to make the project more profitable. Returns cost a lot.

I am also interested how the quality will last, are the Pandoras without problems still going strong?

Back