Has anyone tried a scanner with the pandora?

Stradian

^ Topic.

If anyone had tried, what is your experiences with scanning? I just had a urge to buy a portable document scanner to help me defeat the future university I have got accepted at.

You will need the sane package (and it's dependencies) and the scanner drivers if needed. And they aren't added in the os image.

The only way to make it work is loading a full linux from a SD card and then installing all necessary packages from it's repositories. But remember but even in that case you may need propietary drivers that (i bet) won't be build for arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of the VuPoint handheld "Magic Wand" scanners ( http://www.vupointscanner.com/ ) which just save the scanned images to micro-SD card. You can transfer the images to your Pandora via the card or, more conveniently, via USB cable: the scanner presents itself as generic mass storage, so no extra drivers required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen that that has Blue Tooth capabilities? They sound unusual!

That portable scanner looks interesting... I may have to get one in the future. What's the advantage over using a digital camera?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

That portable scanner looks interesting... I may have to get one in the future. What's the advantage over using a digital camera?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
Fewer focusing issues perhaps? No glare from glossy paper?

Fewer focusing issues perhaps? No glare from glossy paper?

Ah yes. True. However, the only reason I would ever want to use a scanner is to convert some natural media art into a digital format for further processing and work. In other words, I wouldn't be worrying about glare... all the work I've ever done has been on a matt surface. Focusing could be an issue, but taking multiple shots and (even better) using a tripod or something to steady the camera should solve that potential problem.

IMO, there is no way you can have a perfectly rectangular picture of your paper with a camera under 5-10 minutes. A scanner is faster, scans are more reproducible and better quality.

I have one of the VuPoint handheld "Magic Wand" scanners ( http://www.vupointscanner.com/ ) which just save the scanned images to micro-SD card. You can transfer the images to your Pandora via the card or, more conveniently, via USB cable: the scanner presents itself as generic mass storage, so no extra drivers required.
i have a portable scanner that i got from ALDI its a Maginon branded device  . does colour and black/white scanning at 3 resolutions 300,600 and 900 DPI. came with a 4G microSD card all for $50 aussie dollars. does the same hook up via a USB cable and it presents as a thumb drive. the GF loves it scans all her photos for scrap booking....

this one isnt hand scan it pulls the document through so no scan speed errors.....

IMO, there is no way you can have a perfectly rectangular picture of your paper with a camera under 5-10 minutes. A scanner is faster, scans are more reproducible and better quality.
at work i use an app called Genius scan. it uses the smartphone camera to take a pic then gives you a box than can be adjusted to the angles of the image then it "squares"it up.... saves as jpeg or PDF in colour as photo or changed to b/w .

at work i use an app called Genius scan. it uses the smartphone camera to take a pic then gives you a box than can be adjusted to the angles of the image then it "squares"it up.... saves as jpeg or PDF in colour as photo or changed to b/w .
Smartphone camera + funky image transformation = horrid image quality

Back