Hands Off Slow Sd Cards

chaos engineer

tit for tat
Website
Visit site
I just want to warn you as some applications do not work properly with slow sd cards. I bought the ordinary 1 gig card from Sandisk

107344.jpg

The following problems occured with this product:

- dvd divx rips of 600 MB do not work in the movie player
- neogeo cd emulator: it is not possible to load zipped roms
- psx emulator: roms do not load (I tried tekken 3)

Then I tried the same applications with my fast Kingston Elite Pro High-Speed 1GB card,

111708.jpg

...and the problems mentioned above did not occur anymore. I guess the crashes are because it takes too much time to load the data.

One advantage of the Sandisk card is the possibility to flash firmware updates. This did not work with the Kingston card.

I do not want to blame Sandisk, as I know they offer faster cards too, but I think this problem is worth mentioning and maybe some of you have made similar experiences.

i've got a integral 1gb card which isnt advertised as an actual speed ( ergo, slow ).

has been fine with all of the above.

anyone else?

Vimacs posted on Dec 8 2005 at 09:59 AM said:
i dont belive speed makes any difference yes, the sd driver is still only 1bit and dead slow.

but what could then be the reason? I have got two card readers. I copied the content of the Sandisk straight to the Kingston, and the stuff worked. Maybe something else is faulty with my Sandisk card.

Last edited by a moderator:
if this is a problem then i'm screwed. i preordered the sandisk with the unit, and they're not particularly cheap.

chaos engineer posted on Dec 8 2005 at 09:48 AM said:
One advantage of the Sandisk card is the possibility to flash firmware updates. This did not work with the Kingston card.
It doesn't appear to be that simple. My 1Gb Sandisk runs all the things you've listed just fine, but doesn't let me flash the firmware from it. It seems to be the specific combination of card, reader, OS and formatting technique that determines whether you have problemsor not. Hopefully future firmware will iron it out and provide more solid SD support.

Rayek posted on Dec 8 2005 at 12:56 PM said:
if this is a problem then i'm screwed. i preordered the sandisk with the unit, and they're not particularly cheap.

maybe danchamp is right, and this is a problem of a combination of different factors. But still, I think the Sandisk was a bad deal. It even provoques problems in my pocket pc because it is just too slow. but there is still hope that my card is just a faulty one.

Somebody told me that the ordinary sankdisks are slower than other low budget sd cards.

godamn, i ordered the sandisk card with my unit from gbax too..i really hope this isnt a problem or thats £45 down the fucking drain.

The difference between SanDisks and Kingston is the Cylinder size.
Some cylinder sizes work well with the current SD-Card driver, some don't.

Nothing to do with speed.

EvilDragon posted on Dec 8 2005 at 03:30 PM said:
The difference between SanDisks and Kingston is the Cylinder size.
Some cylinder sizes work well with the current SD-Card driver, some don't.

Nothing to do with speed.

time will show whether sd card speed will be an issue or not. it might be the case that it does not matter at the moment, because the sd card driver of the gp2x is not able to use the advantage of faster cards, but I am quite sure that many gp2x users will regret buying the cheap Sandisks. I tested the card in other devices as well, it is sooo slow.

I have a 1gb Sandisk SD card and I haven't had any problems. I can flash my firmware, play high bitrate video files and load psx roms with no problem. I am happy with mine.

Back