H.264

Prefab

Still Fresh
Hi,
I did run a search on the forum beforehand, but couldn't find a definitive answer, so here goes...

I've been told mplayer CVS has H.264 support, I've also read that the GP2X uses mplayer for playing it's movies. Does the GP2x support this format already, is it potentially capable or is the processor/s simply not powerful enough?

Cheers,
:ph34r:

I'm quite sure its capable, but h.264 doesn't look like a priority right now.

I'm sure it will be available in the near-future.

Playing H.264 videos requires a lot of power so I don't think we will be able to play them, at least not in any respectable frame rates. I don't know about lower resolutions though. The thing with H.264 is that it's so hard compressed that you get a lot better quality for the same file size.

I think mpeg support should be the first thing thats implemented by the community, one of selling points of the GP2X is the ability to play movies without re-encoding but unfortunatly this just isnt the case at the moment.

If an iPod can play H264 encoded videos, it should be doable on the GP2X. But I agree, GPH should work on stability first.

I imagine it could play the iPod formatted ones at 320x240 but I'm not sure how much higher than that it would go. H.264 has a few decoding tricks to reduce CPU usage and quality, so something will surely be possible.

Back