Gui....

subin

well, now that game development is starting to kick off and i seem to have endless apps on my gp2x, the old "list of folders" format of the provided linux kernel is starting to get a bit annoying.

i was just wondering, do you think devs would make alternative desktops for a new kernel, like the OpenGP2x project? with shortcuts and such? i think this would be a really useful addition to a homebrew OS, as well as all the other features flying around..

The list of folder format has nothing to do with Linux. That's just GPH's menu program. The kernel is all very behind the scenes stuff.

You could use shell scripts for launching the programs from the root of your SD card, and store all of the directory structure under one folder of the card. So, when you open the game menu, you would see one folder and many "shortcuts" to all of your games/apps.

donny662 posted on Feb 11 2006 at 07:01 PM said:
You could use shell scripts for launching the programs from the root of your SD card, and store all of the directory structure under one folder of the card. So, when you open the game menu, you would see one folder and many "shortcuts" to all of your games/apps.

but that's still the same thing, sort of. i just mean a more elegant way of displaying what's on your SD card - if made a load of shell scripts there would still be a long list to scroll through.

a grid, for example, would be a more efficient use of the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
subin posted on Feb 11 2006 at 06:36 PM said:
well, now that game development is starting to kick off and i seem to have endless apps on my gp2x, the old "list of folders" format of the provided linux kernel is starting to get a bit annoying.

i was just wondering, do you think devs would make alternative desktops for a new kernel, like the OpenGP2x project? with shortcuts and such? i think this would be a really useful addition to a homebrew OS, as well as all the other features flying around..
Do you mean stuff like this?

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,7

I just try to keep my SD card organised so there are as few folders in the root as possible, one for AVIs one for ROMs and a System folder for everything else, with a few scripts in / with obvious names(SNES, MegaDrive, Atari800 etc etc...) to launch all the goodies.

techFreak posted on Feb 11 2006 at 02:46 PM said:
A PSP like GUI is being developed by Turkish scene. You can expect something which is very spectacular. ;)
Sw33T!!!

Any links?

Back