Pandora GTK config file location for pandora apps

ljones

Hello all :)

Ok, first of all -- here's what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to change the fonts used in the menus and programs of GTK pandora apps (e.g. firefox, abiword, audacity, etc).

Normally on a linux system there's a file called ".gtkrc-2.0" that you can place in your home (or root) directory, and the system will see and use it. But since pandora apps aren't run in that way (pnd's) where should any .gtkrc-2.0 go on the pandora for programs/pnd's (e.g. firefox, abiword etc)? I've tried placing it in my home directory on my pandora but the programs in question don't read it at all.

Thanks

ljones

Hmm, I can elaborate on the problem, though I don't have a solution.

The reason why most applications won't recognize your .gtkrc-2.0 file is because most PNDs (possibly all of them as of Zaxxon HF6, though my memory is foggy) redefine the HOME environment variable to point to the appdata directory of that PND. This was mainly to help devs port applications without having to worry about such an application writing to the true home directory (/home/username) which could fill up the NAND and cause some other problems.

Like I said, I don't have a solution. I was hoping there'd be some global configuration file in /etc that one could edit, but a quick look just now didn't find anything. Anyone else have thoughts?

Robert.

You could dump that file into the new home directory (i.e. the appdata directory of whatever application you are launching) and see if that works. However, it is far from optimal as it would require a separate config for each GTK application.

If a program uses g_get_homedir() , it will save such files to the nand.

If not, they are saved to the appdatafolder by default.

This function is the only one sebt3 wasn't able to redirect to the appdata by default in the pnd_run script afaik.

So putting those configfiles into the appdata should work in most cases.

Ok that seemed to work (the font I use for the XFCE desktop is used for GTK apps), so far I've only tried abiword but I managed to change its GTK font. BTW sorry I should have mentioned I am booting from the left-hand SD card slot rather than the nand.

I also made one mistook I found I had to copy my new .ttf files into the directory /usr/share/fonts/truetype and then ran fc-cache -f -v . I orignally just had my fonts in the home directory on my pandora in a directory called ".fonts"  -- a *long* time ago I'd read that doing so will allow changes to the fonts in XFCE.

but

Not sure what else I've done though, as I found if I take away all the .gtkrc-2.0 files I created xfce still uses my fonts (I'd have thought if I take away the .gtkrc-2.0 file then the defaults would be used).

Weird or what? :)

Update: The only program which resisted any change was VLC which I believe uses QT. However running qtconfig didn't make any difference. However after a lot of poking around I found that qtconfig saves its config file in $HOME/.config/Trolltech.conf, and copying this over the top of VLC's Trolltech.conf (found in pandora/appdata/vlc) works.

ljones

Last edited by a moderator:
Back