Grandstand Light Games : projection system.

scaramouche

Website
www.mondomorbo.net
I love the handheld projection systems. There are at least the following systems know:

- The PRO-MO projection system (aka LUDOTRONIC PROSCREEN) . Very hard to find. It can play games projected on the unit itself or into a wall.

Ludotronic-Proscreen.jpg

- The Grandstand Light Games (aka Mega Video Games in Europe). BTW there is one for sale now in ebay see the photos (HERE. Hard to find as well, it can only play games projected into a wall. I got one of these boxed as well as the Mega Video Game (italian version)

DSCI1552_1024_768.jpg

- The Savie projection System.

(no photo available, it is very strange. It has 2 joysticks like a motorcycle and projects from the center)

- The R-Zone are all projection systems but don´t project into a wall only on itself .

- Recently i found a strange chinese projection system but not any info about it. It seems to have at least a football game inside. I contacted the company but not answer.

Projector-Video-Game.jpg

-Also i found this one very interesting called motionbeam character game 5172296 as an Iphone accessory.

motionbeam-character-game-5172296_NSl7f_54.jpg

Do you know other projection systems? :)

Wow. I remember the Pro-screens vaguely, the others are new to me, and I have a bit of a projector fetish!

When I had access to a lot of Gameboy parts I did once make a projection unit out of one, but never got round to wiring a separate controller in so it was hellish to play and keep stable, and in focus.

You'd imagine that with Pico projectors improving in leaps and bounds, and even cheap LCD panels and LED light sources that could do the job this kind of games systems should have resurfaced. Ceiling gaming at bedtime! Fall asleep shooting sheep.

Wow. I remember the Pro-screens vaguely, the others are new to me, and I have a bit of a projector fetish!

When I had access to a lot of Gameboy parts I did once make a projection unit out of one, but never got round to wiring a separate controller in so it was hellish to play and keep stable, and in focus.

You'd imagine that with Pico projectors improving in leaps and bounds, and even cheap LCD panels and LED light sources that could do the job this kind of games systems should have resurfaced. Ceiling gaming at bedtime! Fall asleep shooting sheep.

Yeah i can imagine. I love the projection systems. There is one more very weird but is not portable.. it projects sprites on the wall and you need to shot them. Is the ARCADIA PROJECTION SYSTEM:

72665735.jpg

72665974.jpg

72666208.jpg

I sometimes hold my Grandstand Light Games to the cinema and project to the screen wen it is in full darkness :p Imagine people watching a Game and Watch style game in the cinema :p (in small halls it displays very well)

Sony: the portable PS3 rocks!! But you can´t compare the poor graphics from PS3 with the cool Grandstand Light Games graphics LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i can imagine. I love the projection systems. There is one more very weird but is not portable.. it projects sprites on the wall and you need to shot them. Is the ARCADIA

How do I shot them

The gun shots in fact a light , then if you match the sprite in the wall (an animal, an asteroid, etc) the sprite EXPLODES. It is a cart based system so you have different games. It acts same way as the games wen you shoot stuff on the tv screen.

Laser Pong. I've toyed with this idea.

Three parts - a static base that projects the central divide and ball and houses the collision detection optics, and two 'bats' that project the paddles. No focus necessary, being Lasers. Almost any surface, almost any size. I'm waiting.

I have one of these. You can send a video to it over wifi with gstreamer:

CVOB-E72-Mini-Projector-with-Linux-WiFi-and-QWERTY-keyboard.jpg

WIFI Projector

It works pretty well for playing back movies, but I haven't quite figured out how to gstream Pandora buffer well enough so it could be used with games. I imagine, though, that there are other wifi projectors out there (of the mini, kind) that can be used in similar fashion ..

EDIT: by the way, the thing runs Linux, can be telnet'ed to, and so on .. maybe there's a chance to just port games to it. :) The infra-red remote is shit though, the letters are worn off mine already - not good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see turning that into a Pandora Docking station...hmmmmmm the possibilities. :blink: :blink:

Multiplayer Pandora Pico Projection would be the way to go.

Pandoras would have to network wirelessly, and each one would have to use the same model projector. With each projector spaced correctly so the projected images become seamless (Left to right - or with 4 or more up and down as well!), the playing field could be extended in all kinds of ways - each player with the freedom to move across the entire field!

Yes very possible. Video out cable into a projector. PICO and WizardStan are working on after market versions of a video cable. Hopfully I will order parts soon and make some myself.

Back