Gpfce Update

Thanks for this. :)

I thought it was running worse than the old version until I noticed the clock speed was only on 250 MHz! (Maybe 533 MHz be the default on the next update?)
From what little I've tested it, it seems to run a lot smoother and the screen edge problem & the scaling seems better. (Could the 'hw scaling' options be removed as they're not used?)

Cheers, Neil

Edit: One other quick question about 'L + PUSH' & 'R + PUSH' for save/load state? (What's PUSH? If this is not working could it be changed?)
and maybe START on the controls options could be changed to MENU for the Wiz version. (As we've no START button!)

Neil L said:

I thought it was running worse than the old version until I noticed the clock speed was only on 250! (Maybe 533 be the default on the next update?)
From what little I've tested it, it seems to run a lot smoother and the screen edge problem & the scaling seems better. (Could the hw scaling options be removed as they're not used?)

Cheers, Neil

yeah the default is a bit annoying but once you get the right clock save it as default for the global options.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the clock setting really wasn't doing anything previously and the 180MHz guy was just enjoying placebo?

Neil L said:

I thought it was running worse than the old version until I noticed the clock speed was only on 250 MHz! (Maybe 533 MHz be the default on the next update?)
From what little I've tested it, it seems to run a lot smoother and the screen edge problem & the scaling seems better. (Could the 'hw scaling' options be removed as they're not used?)

Cheers, Neil

Edit: One other quick question about 'L + PUSH' & 'R + PUSH' for save/load state? (What's PUSH? If this is not working could it be changed?)
and maybe START on the controls options could be changed to MENU for the Wiz version. (As we've no START button!)

Edit: I've edited a few bits of text in the fceu file to try and tidy the menu up a bit and I've changed START to MENU etc.
(The hex editor brought back fond memories of my spectrum multiface!)

I've uploaded it to the bottom of this post. (Just unzip it and overwrite the old one with this one) It's up to you if you want to use it in the next release (and the one below)

Edit: I've just edited the fceu file slightly from the first attached file (earlier) and I've now added a fceu2.cfg file to the zip file to overwrite the one in the fceultra folder to bring the clock speed up to 533 MHz (from 150 not 250 as I said earlier!) and get rid of the PUSH? on the load/save keymappings.

Please let me know what you think of these.
Cheers, Neil :)

I've removed the attached file, as the latest version has fixed the clock speed & the load/save keymapping problem.
I will see about editing the new fceu file when I get around to it
:)

Neil L said:
(What's PUSH? If this is not working could it be changed?)
GP2X F100 (which this emu was designed for) can have it's stick pushed that acts as additional button.

notaz said:
GP2X F100 (which this emu was designed for) can have it's stick pushed that acts as additional button.
Thanks for the reply, I thought that's what it might have been.
One thing I noticed after playing for a few hours last night on some games the screen edge problem is still there. :( (SMB3 seems to be one of the worst)
Cheers, Neil

Edit: The volume controls do work, but you have to keep pressing up or down (instead of a constant press) and the volume gauge at the bottom doesn't correspond with what's coming out of the speakers.

Can we get a push L for save state and push R for load state---maybe with a push y to confirm? Pressing both volume keys at the same time and then navigating a menu is annoying.

Optimistic said:
Can we get a push L for save state and push R for load state---maybe with a push y to confirm? Pressing both volume keys at the same time and then navigating a menu is annoying.
Hi,
If you download my attached zip file from my above post, the settings in the fceu2.cfg are set to L & R with a confirm on both load & save.
Just overwrite yours (in the fceultra folder) with this one.
Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
notaz said:
Thanks for the reply, I thought that's what it might have been.
One thing I noticed after playing for a few hours last night on some games the screen edge problem is still there. :( (SMB3 seems to be one of the worst)
Cheers, Neil

Edit: The volume controls do work, but you have to keep pressing up or down (instead of a constant press) and the volume gauge at the bottom doesn't correspond with what's coming out of the speakers.

Yeah i also agree theres an issue with the volume control, most likely the internal volume isnt making it to the actual volume code.

Can you give more info on the screen edge issue you seeing? Is it wrapping the right side onto the left side? Rotated or NOT rotated, scaled or not scaled?
Your sure you not talking about the left side having the single colored vertical bar?

Neil L said:

Cheers, Neil

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I just signed up here today and over at openhandhelds.org as well. I just got a Wiz about a week or 2 ago, so I figured that I might as well sign up here instead of just being a lurker.

I just posted the following over at openhandhelds.org, but I figured that I really should have posted it here instead...

"First off I want to thank you for all of your hard work, especially in fixing the sw scale. I thought that the version before this one ran just fine, except for the sound & sw scale problems and the issues with Punch Out. Well unfortunately this update is giving me some new issues that I didn't have on the last version. For some strange reason the games now seem to lag, which didn't happen before. Then when I exit out back to the Wiz menu the lag continues there. Has this happened to anyone else?"

Neil mentioned that the clock speed was only set at 250 Mhz, but I thought that the prior version was set at this speed as well. The prior version ran pretty flawlessly for me, but now as Neil has pointed out this new version is running worse than the old version did.

I am experiencing lagging during gameplay, and as I've already mentioned above when I exit back out to the Wiz main menu the lagging continues there. Everything seems to be slowed down.

Does anyone know what might be causing this, and can it be fixed?

I really liked the fluid gameplay on the older version, but I didn't like the fact that the scaling was off. Now that the scaling is fixed I was so excited and very thankful, but now for some strange reason the gameplay is suffering and I'm a bit letdown.

I appreciate any help with this matter.

Thanks for everything in advance.

Especially to Pickle and the rest of the programmers who do great work!

JAX1975 said:
Neil L said:

Cheers, Neil

Does anyone know what might be causing this, and can it be fixed?

As mentioned the clock setting was not even implemented, so now its setting the clock to the gp2x default 180 Mhz, set it to 500+ and everything will be like it was

Pickle said:
As mentioned the clock setting was not even implemented, so now its setting the clock to the gp2x default 180 Mhz, set it to 500+ and everything will be like it was

Thanks for the quick reply Pickle!

I just set it to 533 and it now works like a charm.

I didn't bother trying to change it before because I thought that it was set exactly the same as the prior version was, so I figured that there must have been some other problem with it. The fact that the lagging continued when I exited back to the Wiz main menu was very strange. In any case all has been resolved.

In the end it's always the simplest of things.

Thanks again.

I look forward to your future programming work.

Pickle said:
Can you give more info on the screen edge issue you seeing? Is it wrapping the right side onto the left side? Rotated or NOT rotated, scaled or not scaled?
Your sure you not talking about the left side having the single colored vertical bar?
It's the wrapping problem on the left or right (whichever way the screen's scrolling), I've tried SMB3 (the worst offender) on all four settings and it happens on all four. (Also the vertical bar is on the left hand side)
This bar and the wrapping problem only appears on some games (SMB1 runs perfectly without any bar or wrapping problems)

Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
It's the wrapping problem on the left or right (whichever way the screen's scrolling), I've tried SMB3 (the worst offender) on all four settings and it happens on all four. (Also the vertical bar is on the left hand side)
This bar and the wrapping problem only appears on some games (SMB1 runs perfectly without any bar or wrapping problems)

Cheers, Neil
I'm fairly sure Mario 3 has some scrolling glitches on the original hardware too. Are you sure it's not that?

Orkie said:
I'm fairly sure Mario 3 has some scrolling glitches on the original hardware too. Are you sure it's not that?

Yeah, games that use horizontal mirroring experience this during scrolling because of the way the NES PPU handles attributes. It wasn't always visible on the hardware, depending on your TV.

fishybawb said:
Orkie said:

Yeah, games that use horizontal mirroring experience this during scrolling because of the way the NES PPU handles attributes. It wasn't always visible on the hardware, depending on your TV.

Yeah also just did some checking and I cant see anything like the edge issue like before. There are graphical glitches where odd colours will show up, but I think thats what was mentioned above.
Also make sure the new binary is being used and also that none of the hex hacking didnt cause it.

Back