GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

GPD WIN playing Owl Boy
That guy makes a lot of videos, luckily he is not overexcited about the device, so he gives a pretty good impression on what to except from the device: Gamecube almost playable, and even with the fan on, the device still has thermal problems. He mentioned a heatsink mod already several times, quite interested to learn what he has in mind. Maybe GPD should have waited till the SMACH Z and the PGS are out so they could have pirated their magic cooling solutions
Regarding Owlboy: nice to see, that it runs fluently, not every developer cares (or can care) about effiency these days (which is kind of a no brainer, as x86 equals "stationary", which usually means an abundance of power) - I was very disappointed by ShovelKnight recently as it isn't working very well on my x201s(i7, Intel HD).

I was very disappointed by ShovelKnight recently as it isn't working very well on my x201s(i7, Intel HD).
That is a bit concerning. I haven't played it yet, but was considering it. My main laptop right now is the next generation after yours, and I thought Shovel Knight was supposed to be kinda retro...apparently retro gaming requires a beefy computer. This is why I sick with paying on old computers and consoles (the compatibility, I mean, not to mention a more authentic experience, which probably doesn't matter to most people).

I keep feeling the draw of the x201. I need to look at the max specs again.

Maybe GPD should have waited till the SMACH Z and the PGS are out so they could have pirated their magic cooling solutions
I agree. Mainly because I want the Pyra to have less initial competition on the market (meaning more sales and a greater chance of upgrades, and all the good stuff that comes from having a larger community).

With Dolphin, he is still playing with settings on it , he is now also trying PAL games I believe. He just mentioned on Dingoonity that Gamecube Mario Kart runs 100% perfect. He also has mentioned a number of games work well. But I imagine as with his non PAL tests, that some games will be less than ideal ie at reduced frames 20-30. For those it then comes down to what each individual finds acceptable. I imagine a few wont play at all. But we shall see when more testing is done

In regards to a heat sink mod, this is something he is just wanting to do since even before he got it . Just to try and get temp down to as low as can be. Perhaps to play as many games as possible without using the fan.

I wont go into long detail about it, but basically he has been playing significantly with BIOS settings on the WIN. changing a lot of things getting it way past max performance as GPD set it up for from factory.
He has managed to get it so that on demanding games it can reach and maintain maximum frequency on all 4 CPU cores and the GPU. He has now managed to do it without it throttling (fan on of course)

Last edited:
Actually, there are not THAT many BIOS settings to tweak. You can, however, change the throttle temperature, so performance doesn't drop as fast.
Whether the SoC is okay with that or not will be shown some time later.

And as I said months before:
Dolphin and PCSX2 will run fullspeed on some very simple games but will struggle with anything more demanding.

Most games get more demanding the further you play (they add more visual effects to keep the player interested), so even if the beginning of a game works well, it doesn't mean the full game will.

The units for my shop should arrive next week, hopefully, btw.

That is a bit concerning. I haven't played it yet, but was considering it. My main laptop right now is the next generation after yours, and I thought Shovel Knight was supposed to be kinda retro...apparently retro gaming requires a beefy computer. This is why I sick with paying on old computers and consoles (the compatibility, I mean, not to mention a more authentic experience, which probably doesn't matter to most people).

Yes, that's what I also posted a long time ago: While the x86 has an awesome performance, it will struggle with quite a few native games as no one cares to optimize them. Normal desktop PCs are fast enough these days, so who cares about optimization?

Shovel Knight runs perfectly fine on a 3ds, and that one has a LOT less power than any PC out there.
That shows that console versions are being optimized while PC versions aren't.

Should be able to set the max CPU usage in windows if you are overly concerned with battery life and thermals. Just a suggestion instead of having to jump in and out of the bios. Have all my laptops set max 80% on battery, 100% when plugged in and it keeps them at reasonable temps and slight boost to battery and don't notice too much in routine tasks.

Yes, that's what I also posted a long time ago: While the x86 has an awesome performance, it will struggle with quite a few native games as no one cares to optimize them. Normal desktop PCs are fast enough these days, so who cares about optimization?

Shovel Knight runs perfectly fine on a 3ds, and that one has a LOT less power than any PC out there.
That shows that console versions are being optimized while PC versions aren't.

Problems with Shovel Knight on an x201s probably have nothing to do with the CPU and everything to do with the GPU. That was back from the real dark ages of Intel IGPs with terrible hardware and drivers. I think it's stuck with OpenGL 2.1, at least on Linux, which is very very old.

Ahh, okay, thanks for the information.

True, most new games use OpenGL, even if it's not really needed.

Just an update on Indiegogo backers. GPD started shipping to Indiegogo backers on the 20th , today will be their fourth day of shipping.

Some people have reported receiving their Indiegogo GPD WINs already

Apparently GPD are sending out 100-200 a day

100-200 a day, my place in line and problems at the local post office so I should expect mine about November 4th - 12th if I'm lucky.

The units for my shop should arrive next week, hopefully, btw.
@EvilDragon
Oooooh, that is very good news, now I'm really excited (since I placed a preorder at your shop)!
Quite surprised to hear this though, since not all IGG backers have received their units yet.
Did GPD notify you directly, that they will send the units to you this week or is that your own estimation?

And another question, will you do a quality check of the units once you receive them or will you send them out without unpacking?
I'm asking since I read some people complained about build quality issues with their devices such as bumps in the case, etc...

Last edited:
The units are already on the way, have been shipped with DHL Express on Saturday :)

I will make a quick check of a few units myself and maybe check all the ones that go to outside of Germany.
The ones in Germany aren't too hard to exchange.

According to a geekbuying chat rep, they're in stock now. I'm going to order one now and see what happens.

Also $20 off with code GPDWINPC

According to a geekbuying chat rep, they're in stock now. I'm going to order one now and see what happens.

Also $20 off with code GPDWINPC

Yes, they're in stock there.
They're sitting in China, so shipping to them as distributor was faster than shipping to me.
My units are scheduled for Wednesday, and I also will have about 15 in stock (as I ordered more than I got preorders).
It was the same for Geekbuying, so they're selling the remaining units as well :)

What GPD did makes sense: They made the production run, are shipping them as fast as possible to the backers but also have shipped the large boxes to the distributors as well.
Yes, that way it can happen that customers who preordered get the device faster than some backers (which is a bit annoying), but then again, no backer would get it faster as they can't ship out more units per day.

As long as they have enough units for everyone and keep shipping, everything is fine :)

My units are scheduled for Wednesday, and I also will have about 15 in stock (as I ordered more than I got preorders).

ED,
Are you planning to wait until you have the units in stock before you allow the dragonbox pre-orders to finish the purchases?

ED,
Are you planning to wait until you have the units in stock before you allow the dragonbox pre-orders to finish the purchases?

Yes, but it's all prepared, so as soon as the packages arrive in my office, I'll send out the email and you will be able to finish the preorder right away.

If DHL delivers in the morning, the first units can ship the same day :)

I will make a quick check of a few units myself and maybe check all the ones that go to outside of Germany.
The ones in Germany aren't too hard to exchange.

Sounds good, cause shipping things out of Norway is expensive so like to avoid that when possible :)

Back