Gparted wont format cards..

levi1123

Something about it failing to notify the kernel whenever I try formatting any card I put in. Seems to nicely corrupt the partition though when I try formatting a card. =)

Any help guys?

Something about it failing to notify the kernel whenever I try formatting any card I put in. Seems to nicely corrupt the partition though when I try formatting a card. =)

Any help guys?

arghhh :(

May I see the /tmp/pndrungparted* file please ?

Code:
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/cpuspeed': No such file or directory

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon: 

/dev/loop2

Filetype is Squashfs

sudo mount -t squashfs  /dev/loop2

mounting union!

Filesystem is vfat

[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

======================

libparted : 2.3

======================

Partition(s) 8 on /dev/mmcblk1 have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use.  As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use.  You should reboot now before making further changes.

Partition(s) 8 on /dev/mmcblk1 have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use.  As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use.  You should reboot now before making further changes.

Partition(s) 8 on /dev/mmcblk0 have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use.  As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use.  You should reboot now before making further changes.

Partition(s) 8 on /dev/mmcblk0 have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use.  As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use.  You should reboot now before making further changes.

./scripts/gparted.sh: .: line 13: can't open /mnt/utmp/gparted/scripts/post_script.sh

[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]

cleanup done

I should have think about this ;)

Before manipulating a partition, you need it umounted (sudo umount /media/<name_it>).

This basically mean you cannot use it on the card it is installed on

I know that of course =P I've sudo umounted already before doing this to the OTHER card, Im obviously not trying to format the SD card Im running Gparted from. =)

I know that of course =P I've sudo umounted already before doing this to the OTHER card, Im obviously not trying to format the SD card Im running Gparted from. =)
That's strange then :(

Would you mind mounting the PND (start the apps and minimize it, or look at the exec line in the .desktop file and add -m to that command).

Then

Code:
export PATH="/mnt/utmp/gparted/bin:/mnt/utmp/gparted/sbin:${PATH:-"/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin"}"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/gparted/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:-"/usr/lib:/lib"}"

mkfs.<fstype> ....

To umount use -u to the command or close gparted :)

That's strange then :(

Would you mind mounting the PND (start the apps and minimize it, or look at the exec line in the .desktop file and add -m to that command).

Then

Code:
export PATH="/mnt/utmp/gparted/bin:/mnt/utmp/gparted/sbin:${PATH:-"/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin"}"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/gparted/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:-"/usr/lib:/lib"}"

mkfs.<fstype> ....

To umount use -u to the command or close gparted :)

Better describe what you want me to do a bit please? You were a bit unclear, or I misunderstood what you wrote.

Better describe what you want me to do a bit please? You were a bit unclear, or I misunderstood what you wrote.
the Gparted PND contain also the command-line tools to do it. So as gparted seems to fail I wanted you to do it using command-line instead.

To do so :

1) start gparted and minimize it.

2) start a terminal and :

Code:
sudo su -

mkfs.ext2 -L "card-name" /dev/mmcblk1

Make sure the device is the one you want to format and get it an other name :)

3) close the terminal window

4) close gparted window

oh, and if you have modified the partition table, you basically have to remove and replug the device to get the kernel notify the changes.

Yes Sir! =) Thanks for the description, will do shortly and edit with results.

Sorry had to leave work and get home. [Edit 1]

Last edited by a moderator:
I also encountered the same problem. It won't format partitions at all. Do you want debug info from me too?

Any word on this

ended up getting it working (not gparted though)

thanks anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
sebt3 wrote to me on 2012-04-17:

it was working when I packaged it (HF4 at this time) I even patched it to work-around the problem you describe.

For an unknown issue it's not working anymore it seems.

I dont plan on fixing the issue.

sebt3 wrote to me on 2012-04-17:

it was working when I packaged it (HF4 at this time) I even patched it to work-around the problem you describe.

For an unknown issue it's not working anymore it seems.

I dont plan on fixing the issue.

First : private discussion have to keep private thanks !

Second : That reply was because you sent me 3 PM within 10mn about this issue each harsher than the previous. I wont do something for someone that isnt nice with me.

Now that this is said, is there someone that care to test this : http://sebt3.openpandora.org/pnd/?f=gparted.pnd

(it disable the automounter before starting and re-enable it fater gparted quit ; that should fix most issues)

1) private discussion have to keep private thanks !

2) That reply was because you sent me 3 PM within 10mn about this issue each harsher than the previous. I wont do something for someone that isnt nice with me.
Sorry if I insulted you, was certainly not intended!

The excerpt I gave was of a very general nature ("sebt does not continue gparted PND"), thus I thought it is ok, to mention it publicly.

And the 3 consecutive PMs were all one-liners, I thought the forum software concatenates them similar as the FaceBook messaging style. Sorry if that was not the case, and made a spammy impression.

3) Now that this is said, is there someone that care to test this : http://sebt3.openpan.../?f=gparted.pnd

(it disable the automounter before starting and re-enable it fater gparted quit ; that should fix most issues)
Summary: I tested it, and it works like a charm!

Operating system: 1.5.b3, SuperZaxxon, Beta 3, running kernel 3.2

GUI environments: Tested both in MiniMenu and XFCE. (Slight UI remark: In MiniMenu all icons fit into the toolbar nicely, in XFCE the rightmost icons don't fit, therefore can be found in the "more icons" triangle)

Performed several multi-task operations (resize existing partition, add new partitions, change labels, etc), and they all worked fine!

Only on the XFCE desktop some volume icons appeared twice (under the same name), but after a restart this was normal again.

Back