GP32x theme is a bit buggy

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
I love the retro feel of the GP32 theme, but some of the menus are a bit messy, at least with javascript turned off. The search box partially obscures the links to my profile, inbox and alerts, and completely obscures any notification of new alerts (assuming it's under there somewhere).

Also, on many views a 'legal information' button appears over the top of the proper category menu (or whatever you call it - here it begins 'mark forums read' and ends with 'new posts'. Mostly there's an area of the covered menu item you can reach if you pay attention to the mouseover animation.

Also, while I'm on that topic, not all menu items have the proper mouseover animation; at least in the other consoles forum, 'GPH consoles' and 'MIPS based' do not get a box around them while 'Android' and 'Everything else' show up fine when you hover over them.

Hmm, that doesn't make sense, as it only has changed colors... it's exactly the same as the others, apart from that.

But I've not yet finished it, so some colors might be wrong.

Hmm, yes. The search box is also misaligned in the default view, and the 'legal information' box is rendered (albeit in a slightly different place) but in grey text on a grey background, so it's not so visible. It does partially obscure the text of the items it obscures though, and is visible if you mouse over it.

The missing menu animation for the cateogories in other consoles is still there too. It's not a GP32x specific issue, but perhaps more obvious there thanks to the colouring.

I've noticed it also seems to be a scaling issue; if I'm not logged in at this resolution, legal information appears in the top red menu bar, but once I log in, it spills over to (somewhere on) the second menu line. If I make the window wider than my monitor, it pops back into place on the red menu line.

Edit: I should also make it clear that I'm running without javascript here. I note that if I turn on javascript, the menu items which don't fit get put into a drop down menu.

I guess this is only an issue for the few people who don't run javascript, though perhaps that's more common to users of this site than many others.

Last edited:
FWIW, at my current resolution, moving GPH consoles from its own forum to a subcategory of the main one has removed that coloured menu bar entry, and shifted 'legal information' onto the first line, so it no longer interferes with the second menu.

Mind you, this has also shifted the buttons that give me access to my profile, conversations or alerts to under the search box, but at least now I can see when I've got any new conversations or alerts, as the little number pops up apparently from the search box now.

Hmm, weird, the theme should be responsive, so that should've worked before.

It is responsive as I shrink and grow the window, but automatically truncating the menu is dynamic content and needs javascript to work. This is only an issue with javascript off as far as I know - these days I rarely get round to turning it on as mostly things work even without it. If I make the window sufficiently small, the top menu line continues to wrap around over the top of the second menu, but the newly shortened menu means I have to go especially narrow to make it wrap.

Perhaps something could be done to make it grow the menu background if the menu wraps, and push the second menu line down. The user/inbox/alerts text does shift down if I shrink the window, so it is able to redraw the layout dynamically. But since it all works, to the best of my knowledge, with JS on, and is fully workaround-able with JS off, I don't see any benefit in spending time on this. I just wanted to 'close' this thread to say it's looking better for me now.

Back