Gp32 Vs Gp2x - A Conundrum

Sniffer

Still Fresh
OK, I'm a newbie who's yet to buy either machine and I guess the answer to my question isn't an easy one.

I presume that most (if not all) software is incompatible between both machines, and as the GP2X is newer it should be the one to buy.....

However, are there any advantages for getting a GP32 over a GP2X (or should I get both ?)

Having trawled through the forum I'm still a little stumped....

Thanks in advance for any help !!

well, the gp32 has better battery life apparently but then again the display is not as well lit as the gp2x i believe. I cannot really make any statements about the hardware though as I do not own a gp32 myself but know it only from a friend and by reading from the board.

software-wise the gp2x is obviously the one to get. it has been released not long ago and there is already a huge amount of software for it. the platform is way more flexible due to it running linux and being very easy to program. also pretty much every system that could be emulated on the gp32 will be possible to be emulated on the gp2x as it has more horsepower inside.

I loved my old GP32, and still use it (last night, Manic Miner!!!)

But the GP2x is the one to get, it's where all the 'action' is. If you get on with it, then think about picking up a second hand GP32 later!

OK, sounds like a bit of a no-brainer then.....GP2X it is.

One other question though - is it possible to use a USB Wi-fi connector on it to stream Divx and MP3s from other devices ?

Lastly, Would I need to also get the GP2X TV out adaptor in order to plug it into my TV ?

lubidog posted on Feb 21 2007 at 12:32 PM said:
I loved my old GP32, and still use it (last night, Manic Miner!!!)

But the GP2x is the one to get, it's where all the 'action' is. If you get on with it, then think about picking up a second hand GP32 later!

What's a good price (in UK pounds !!) for a second hand GP32 ? And should I go for the BLU+ machine (or has that still got some compatibility problems.....) if I do get one ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sniffer posted on Feb 21 2007 at 07:34 AM said:
One other question though - is it possible to use a USB Wi-fi connector on it to stream Divx and MP3s from other devices ?

Lastly, Would I need to also get the GP2X TV out adaptor in order to plug it into my TV ?

I'd rather just use USB to connect to a hard drive based MP3 player and put the videos on that. And for the second question, yes, they're pretty cheap at about ten USD.

Gp2x, its the 32's predocessor and can do most things the 32 can (emulation wise) yes the 32 has much better homebrew at the moment (but finding SMC's are hard) tbh, i never got the best out of the 32 because of that... but yeah, i recomend the 2x, its the newest, its more powerful, and has alot more going for it... but if you have enough for both, get them, their both great :D

rememberthe8bit posted on Feb 21 2007 at 01:06 PM said:

I'd rather just use USB to connect to a hard drive based MP3 player and put the videos on that.

OK, point taken........but is it possible to use Wi-fi on it ?

Sniffer posted on Feb 21 2007 at 09:10 AM said:

I'd rather just use USB to connect to a hard drive based MP3 player and put the videos on that.

No. It lacks drivers to get it working.

Sniffer posted on Feb 21 2007 at 01:34 PM said:

Sure... you need a BoB to attach the wifi dongle to the GP2X - then you need to load the appropiate drivers for the dongle's chip in order to get it to work.

Others have reported that they got it working so i suggest you find out what kind of dongle they used and which software - should be no serious topic :)

Alternatively you could create your own EXT -> USB Cable but it requires you to have some basic soldering skills.

shinneri posted on Feb 21 2007 at 09:31 AM said:
Sniffer posted on Feb 21 2007 at 09:10 AM said:

No. It lacks drivers to get it working.
Art Taylor has drivers i believe... http://artaylor.co.uk/gp2x/index.html

Back