gp32 misbehaving :(

monsta

Still Fresh
think i may have done something to my GP32 :( yesterday i all of a suden it started playing up. frodo was not running anything properly, but worse still day of the tentacle just wouldnt load at all.i could still load monkey 2 and indiana jones but not monkey 1 or dott. everything else seemed fine then i noticed that fordo wasnt working and most of my gbc roms wernt loading either. so i backed up my dott saves (the only important thing on the system) and formated the smc. ive reinstaled windups and scumm and dott now works, but it hangs when i try and load the saves. the gbc roms now work aswell.

im running mrspivs firmware upgrade booting straight to wind-ups, but have tried via orig firmware and free launcher. anyone else had any similar problems, is the smc media a bit flaky at times? oh and i did try fresh batteries. the really odd thing is frodo did run ocasionaly and even mario tennis (one of the gbc problem games) managed to run once, its as if the gp32 is being tempromental and not borken, again any help much apreciated.

thanks

I think MrSpiv's usb link is a bit flaky, maybe the files are are not been transfer over correctly, try to copy the files using a card reader or a smc digital camera.

wow, super speedy reply :)

are you saying that mrspiv`s usb link can corrupt data on the card, even if that data has not been touched by the linker software?. i have had dott on for over a week and no problems, i didnt copy any files in the dott directory or alter scumm in anyway, i did however copy some files from pc to gp32 between the time dott worked and didnt. i will try and copy over the save files using the original link software and see if this helps. ill also try and source a card reader at lunch time.

edit -----

and why would it effect the gbc emu and frodo when those directories wernt touched in any way ?!?!

Spiv's firmware is fine so far as copying stuff over is concerned. You shouldn't be having any problems there. What might be happening with GP-SCUMM is that your CPU may be unable to handle 166MHz speed it uses - leave the console of for an hour or so, and try again, possibly with the 133MHz version. Just a guess.

Also, Yes, SMCs can be a little insane every so often. As in mine has wiped itself before (and then claimed to be unformatted - I assume the FAT tables just got corrupted or something).

DOTT hanging when trying to load saves...? Well, I know mine seems to hang for a minute every so often when it IS saving, but I've yet to have a problem loading saves. Hmm... As I say, try the slower version; it could just be that your GP32 cannot handle the faster one.

ive always been using the slower version of scumm as my gp32 seems unable to run the faster version.

ive bougth a smc reader/writter now and will be doing regular backups so hopefully things should be ok

losing my saves aside, im going to back them up regulaly, it appears the reason dott wouldnt run is that somehow my tentacle.001 file is being deleted !?!?!?! im wandering if it is any of the other emus attempting to save that may be causing this? i use infones-gp32-v3 quite alot and it seems to be after using this that tentacle disapears, but i cant be sure (im in no way flaming the emu, its great, playing excitebike is quality)

any ideas?

Back