GP32 Gp32 Lightgun

Mofokubik

Website
Visit site
Yeah I know it's a stupid idea as the screen is so small, but i'm wondering if it would be possible on an lcd screen like that to have a lightgun, or if would even work through the ext port for that matter. It certainly would be interesting...

It could work, I suppose. You could probably crack open the GP32 and add one of those controller-port mods all the kids are talking about.

Then you could just do a Duck Hunt style of thing in the game engine and colour different targets different colours and the background white; then detect which colour you hit. Dead simple!

The question is, WHY? You'd be pointing a big Zapper at a tiny little GP32.

Don`t quote me on this, But i`m pretty sure that this would not work.

The reason: Lightguns, The type that are/were used on the likes of the Nes, Master System, MegaDrive et all. Work in conjunction with the tv frequency/refresh rate eg. 50hz/60hz to detect where abouts the controller is pointing when the trigger is pressed.

LCD`s, Like the one in the GP32, Laptops and pretty much all flat panel displays work in a completely different way. They do not work on frequencies/refresh rates like a standard tv, But response time. I am in no way an electrical technician, But am pretty sure that what you are suggesting is not technically possible. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

BTW: This was discussed in a thread a while ago. But i can`t be assed to find a link.

Trooper

It could be possible by making the whole picture black and all those areas that are targets could be white.
If now the gun detects a white space and not a black one, you hit the target.

But anyways. A lightgun on GP32? How gay would you look when using that?

It could be possible by making the whole picture black and all those areas that are targets could be white.
If now the gun detects a white space and not a black one, you hit the target.
Yes, that was my suggestion. Except I was going to use different colours so you could have multiple targets on screen. This is how the Odyssey2 (first system to ever have a light gun)'s "rifle" worked.

As for how else to play Duck Hunt, put a magnifying glass in front of the Zapper and you can kill entire squadrons of ducks at once. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So...you'd be holding the Lightgun (probably Lightpen for the GP32) with one hand, and the GP32 with the other hand?

Interesting idea, but I'd like a stylus pen for the GP32 first. Then the stylus technology could easily be transmogrified into a Lightgun/pen.

Back