Gp32 In The Bizarre Cathedral

The GP32 will rise again, I'm sure of it :) It's a real special device, I'm sure that in a couple of years when the dust settles we will see more new things released for it as random developers pick up used units, and nostalgic ones pick it up again for some quick bursts.

On a related note, who else here cries every time they remember that only if the original Gamepark would have replaced the SMC slot with an SD one the 32 would most likely have been alive to this day?..

On a related note, who else here cries every time they remember that only if the original Gamepark would have replaced the SMC slot with an SD one the 32 would most likely have been alive to this day?..

I was thinking of that. So much of its capabilities were limited by the 128mb constraint. Trying to get a whole movie down to that size was so frustrating!

Alex. said:
I feel your pain. I remember that I used to hate the clicking joystick on the GP32, but when I pick it up now and have a quick blast at something it feels like the best god dam joystick I've ever used and I wish my GP2X had a joystick like it.

The 128MB limit is the only reason I don't use my GP32 very much....didn't someone do a SD mod?, maybe I should look into that. A GP32 with an SD card....thats the stuff dreams are made of :)

Reesy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reesy: Yeah, Robster & Spiv worked together on the SD Mod from what I remember...

I still routinely break out my GP32, only problem I have with it is definitely storage size (and the hardship of finding spare SMC's nowadays)... but I use it differently now, although I still find some emulation use for it (nes with ljgp is still awesome), I tend to use the GP2X/Zodiac as my emu systems and the GP32 for all it's fantastic homebrew :) And ofcourse, jump 'n bump multiplayer ftw!

I am so glad I bought plenty of SMCs back when they were cheap. I've got five 128s and about a dozen or so 16s. The 16s are great for 8bit Consoles and Computers. You can get a wodge of 8 bit games on a 16MB card.

DR SMS at 40MHz and FS1, several dozen of my favorite SMS games, runs for ages on one set of batteries.

Great stuff!

Cheers Reesy :D

No prob BaDToaD, my pleasure.

I still owe the GP32 a GG emulator, I keep forgetting I only did the SMS emulation. I also need to fix the slow saving issue which is a pain in the ass. I might just recompile the emulator with a mix of the offical SDK (for fast SMC access) and Mr Mirko's SDK (for fast everything else). Ahh I'll see what I can do, I'm so damm busy these days I barely get chance to do anything.

Later
Reesy

To be honest, I think the 8MB of RAM is the biggest limitation. Well, for MAME it is. :)
I'm going to release v1.0 of MAME4ALL GP32 just before all these new machines surface.

As for the GG emulator - yes!

Also, is it worth adding in the improvements to DRZ80 made within the last few years?
I'd like to see an uber version of DrSMS - still my favorite SMS emulator on any handheld.

Back