Gp32 Greatest Hits

Orion4874

Mega GP Mania
Hi guys, I'm fairly new to the GP32 world and am looking for suggestions on what to try out on my BLU. I've tried a few games and browsed the archive but there's alot to choose from. Call me lazy but this seemed the easiest way to go about this as there's only so much you can fit on a 128mb card. So how 'bout it all you 32 veterans, throw out your favorites here so us late-to-the-party folks can give them a try.

Thanks in advance! :D

P.S.
Why is such an out dated media so expensive? Sheesh.... I've seen people trying to sell these cards for over $100 on line. I got my hands on 2 128mb smc's and have an xd to smc adapter on the way as they seem to be a little bit cheaper.

Hi Orion,

I was/am mainly "into" emulation on the GP32, Bomberman 93, Parasol Stars etc, on GPEngine.
My favorite megadrive games on DrMD, Nes games on LittleJohnGP, SMS game on DrSMS, And
spectrum games on ZXGP32.

But i have tried a few native GP32 games, And off the top of my head, These are the ones i can heartily recommend.

Cubex

gpSame

Xump3D

Just looked around the GP32 file archive to find the links for the above games, And bloody hell,
There are a huge amount of games i have just seen for the first time for the GP32, And will need
to find time to try some of them out.

Oh, Thanks Orion for the topic, I would not have checked the archive out if not for your question.

Trooper

Much like Trooper, the initial draw to the GP32, was emulation. It can emulate 8bits, and 16bits for the most part, and being an Atari nut means the XL/XE 8bit line up, and ST 16bit is taken care of quite well. Which also means, I don't have to chase after newer open source hand helds, because the GP32, has already done what I want.

My fetish aside, and in addition to Trooper's too, there is MAME, the ROM list is not too bad, as I like older games, I am happy with a few I have on a dedicated SMC. Also I have similar for the Gameboy emulator as well.

Amongst others there is Windups, a nice little front end. We also have GPBook (ebook reader), it reads text file, and is compatible with Notepad, you can put alot of reading material even on a small card. Almost forgot, there is Little GP Tracker (LGPT), a sequencer for you creative side (you can use this with a custom MIDI cable for contolling MIDI instruments too). You can listen to MP3, but why worry spending money on an SMC card for that if you could spend the money better on a dedicated MP3 player (but it is nice to have the ability). Also there is GPCinema for watching the old DIVX 4.12 format encoded video (I never tried it myself, but did see one playing and it was good).

On my current SMC card (this one is a 64MB), I have:

Tetris (Puzzle - Im sure you already know this game)
Sokoban (Puzzle - an old favourite of mine)
GP32 War (War game - wish I had more time for this one)
GP32 Sopwith (Side ways scroller - old but I like it for a quick sortie)
NetHack (RPG - old skool)
Aka Noid (Breakout - for a quick fix)
Bolcataxian (Vertical shooter - great blasting game)
Bolcatoid (Breakout - I like breakout)
Arcano (Breakout - hold the unit sideways)
Newkind (Elite - an unfinished game, but hey it's Elite)
Pinball Dreams (Pinball - like on the old Amiga 16bit)

Trooper listed a few of the must have games to try. They show the quality the GP32 can put out.

Must agree about the SMC prices.

EDIT: Typos (Torpor 2 Trooper).
RE-EDIT: Another one!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm diggin' all of them. I really like all the Nazca games, very polished!

Anyone know where to get the full versions of Gloop And Gloop Deluxe? That AeonFlame site no longer has them and no luck trying Google.

Glad to hear your enjoying the delights of the GP32.

Had a look around for Gloop, and found this:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/8354-gloop-deluxe/

Hooka, reviewed the game once (somewhere?).

Toris, sadly has not been active on the forum since 2005.

Try this:

http://www.aeonflame.com/contact/

Sorry not to be of more help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asteroid said:

Try this:

To follow up on this, did anyone have any luck getting in touch with aeonflame?

superhyper said:
Asteroid said:

Try this:

To follow up on this, did anyone have any luck getting in touch with aeonflame?
I sent them an e-mail but havn't gotten a response as of yet. That was about a week and a half ago.

All this is just typical for how the GP32 scene is, and well this comes about from us users doing nothing.

As an example if you want a giggle look at the openhandhelds' download section, then look at the consoles supported and in turn look to the right hand side at most downloads, for each console. What do you see GP2X, and GP32, have high download counts, an indication of user numbers yet currently for development they lag behind a bit, and no developers do not always want to develop for the newest, and "best". The Sinclair Spectrum, is a case in point. A lot of developers (not all) like to make their stuff for what is popular, for more appreciation of their work (be that often monetary).

I think a little grass roots action may be in order. So to be counted I have just sent emails to both Toris's, and the support's email addresses, at Aeonflame. My thinking is that if they see there are still willing users then they may respond. It would be good if more joined in but if the games not your thing then I can't blame you.

It would be nice to have a little revival for the GP32's 10th year (Nov 2001).

I think that's an awesome idea! I wish we could encourage more devs to put their applications on fungp so we could buy them. I know many do it for the recognition and not the financial reward, but it would be nice if they could put some premium options up for sale we could support them.

Back