Gp32 Development Scene Status?

smerko

Still Fresh
with gp2x out now are people still developing for the gp32? are there any lists of ongoing projects? can we expect full snes support (or at least to drmd levels?). basically has everyone moved on?

I know it doesn't mean anything, but I am very likely to release a couple of small homebrew games for the GP32 at a certain point. :)

- Alex

I'd say it's asleep, for now. Once the GP2x has caught up more with the good ole GP32 (imo it hasn't until we've got decent SMS/GG/Nes emulation and a couple of "killer" games like KoF94 and SmashGP), I imagine the two scenes will come into line and continue to develop in parallel. At least, insofar as that's possible.

I do *not* know this by any means. I do know that there have been at least 4 periods I can remember where people have doom and gloomed the GP32 and it's bounced back very fast and very successfully.

Franxis said that there'll be a Mamegp32 2.0, with the enhancement of the various single-mame (Ghosts'n'goblins, Black Tiger, etc...).

I Hope also in F-Day gp32_console

I think (if it will happen) that fDay will be the last BIG release for the GP32. But there will be some new Fenix games from time to time ^_^

basicly i am not surprised about the slowdown in gp32 development, tho here and there you can find a release.

about the gp32 f-day... ryleh is trying to have this "f-day" since ages :) i remember having a few betas which are still no out, so everything definatly exists... but he could give himself a kick and start preparing for the final *boom* :)

if everything goes straigt we might release may69 (puzzle game) for the gp32. but after all kedo has to move on coding :)

i doubt we will ever see the f-day release for GP32. which is fine 'cause rlyeh's given us a great body of work such as it is, i don't think anyone could really begrudge him that (and we've got great NES and genesis/etc emulators otherwise)

i generally consider the GP32 scene to be pretty abandoned these days, i am sure we'll see the occasional trickle here and there but nothing particularly noteworthy (with the exception of some upcoming MAME releases, if the talk is true - and sounds like it should!) and possibly a bone or two from reesy w/ DrMD or what have you..

it sounds kind of sad, but if you think about it there is plenty of great apps for the system, most of which are very well executed and useful, and will be for as long as anyone cares to keep theirs around! I have enjoyed it for years, and I look forward to more of the same - someday maybe i'll upgrade to a 2x, or something similar, but what's there with GP32 is already more than I'll ever use, for certain.

(don't get me wrong, like anyone of course i'd love to see more development - the scene has been fun as hell to follow,and i am anxiously awaiting the new MAME release!)

Alex. posted on Mar 23 2006 at 08:29 PM said:
I know it doesn't mean anything, but I am very likely to release a couple of small homebrew games for the GP32 at a certain point. :)

- Alex

Cool.

I must admit to being more focused on the 2X side of things but I do still play my GP32 and for many things it is still cool. ROTT, LJGP MAME etc.

There's certainly still room in my heart for the old fella.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back