GP32 GP32 Application Porting Guide

Makenai

I was just thinking that it might be nice if someone could take some time to put together a porting guide / faq. I mean, there is alot of great software out just waiting to be brought over to the GP32 side, and many people that are probably quite capable coders (on the PC side) or perhaps enthusiastic hobbyists that aren't really sure where to start, what is involved, or if they are even up to the task.

I think it would work great as a basic guide, or perhaps a collection of FAQs from various people who have experience in this area.

Some things that might be covered..

:huh: Choosing a project. Things to consider before embarking on a project.. physical constraints. Clock speed, memory, screen resolution, FPU considerations, peripherals etc.

:huh: Organizing a project for porting - assessing & dividing up & sorting tasks to be done.

:huh: Tips and techniques for getting things done neatly and the right way.

:huh: Setting up & tweaking makefiles.. tips on just getting the darn thing to compile. A few people I have talked to on IRC are mesmerized by autoconf scripts for example. And don't know whether to ditch or keep them.

:huh: Tips on making substitutions for external library calls such as Allegro or LibSDL with GP32 SDK native functions.. and/or writing wrapper functions. Getting rid of unsupported dependencies.. one.. by.. one

:huh: Retaining compatibility with parent project (Is this even generally an issue?)

:huh: Basic Debugging techniques

:huh: Optimizations..

:huh: Case studies of existing projects.. common pitfalls.. things to look out for.. platform quirks (such as the sound problem with the SDK functions)

You know, that kind of stuff. Anyone else think this is a half decent idea? Please pipe in!

I wouldn't mind helping out to get things started on this front.. collecting questions (maybe making a most wanted list), organizing infomation, settings up a public repository & posting answers on a regular basis. I just want to test the waters a bit first before I make any big stupid movements.

I think, generally, that people who take on ports have a good knowledge of such things already and know what they're doing.

- Rico

True, but its the ones who want to take on ports and are just too daunted to do so who this would be aimed it, methinks...

Rico posted on May 29 2003 said:
I think, generally, that people who take on ports have a good knowledge of such things already and know what they're doing.

- Rico
Yeah, I agree. Generally that's true. Though that's part of the problem that I see. We all have to start somewhere though, and having a nice source of information like the above mentioned might help many get that start. I'm not proposing Programming 101 for novices, but something more along the lines of a fairly specific reference for those that are capable to get a step in the right direction. It is a bit of a departure from regular programming - this porting business, I think.

The platform belongs to all of us.. the more the merrier, right? :)

Just my $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your 2 cents is worth more like a dollar.

yeh i'd like to see a guide like this it could be quite useful for people interested in this side of gp32 programming

Every little bit helps the entire GP32 community.

I'd love to see a guide like this -> Might encourage more undecided(s) to start porting !

Makenai posted on May 29 2003 said:
Yeah, I agree. Generally that's true. Though that's part of the problem that I see. We all have to start somewhere though, and having a nice source of information like the above mentioned might help many get that start. I'm not proposing Programming 101 for novices, but something more along the lines of a fairly specific reference for those that are capable to get a step in the right direction. It is a bit of a departure from regular programming - this porting business, I think.
Well I agree such a tutorial wouldn't hurt anybody. However, new programmers should really learn how to code C in general, learn the Makefile format, etc. and make some games -before- they take on a port. IMHO porting is a not a good first project for a beginner. Especially as you have to adapt to someone else's coding style, variable naming notation, file structure and program flow.

Just my £0.02 :)

-- but -- OTOH porting can sometimes be easier if someone is new to GP32 programming but not coding in general. If they know, for example, the SDL api.

a top idea, as at this rate therell be no Amstrad CPC emulator and ill be forced to have a go at it myself even tho i know jack about programming!

Hm.. seems like the responses are mostly good. I'd love to do something like this.. once I finish up my current projects, I'll try to start getting something together. Out of practicality, it'll probably start as a developer's notebook of my own experiences.. where I start with a source tree and try to get ported over, updating a journal every step of the way while gathing faq information etc.

I am a fairly experienced C programmer slightly more at home in data processing and applications than in gaming. I don't have alot of graphics programming experience, but do some messing around from time to time. I think the situation would put me in a fairly good position to get a start and have others learn from my mistakes along the way. Will keep you all updated. Hopefully, something can come of this. :)

Antiriad posted on May 29 2003 said:
a top idea, as at this rate therell be no Amstrad CPC emulator and ill be forced to have a go at it myself even tho i know jack about programming!
Thats exactly what I was thinking!!!

I'd liek to leanr some GP32 programming/porting etc. The furtest experience I have in programming is in Basic on the CPC. I coul dmake a prgamme ask for your name, then say, for example "hello jon" or whatever.

wow im so skilled.... but I WOUL Dlike to leanr :)

Back