GP2X Gp2x Wifi Via Mini Bob

sephiroth111

ok, i had an interesting idea, why not take a USB wifi stick, and a mini BOB and replace the battery cover with something of a hack, (think of the PASSme versions... if you know about DS homebrew) such as:

2 ipod 3g batteries (each are 3.7v and 750mah or something) step them down to +5v for the usb power, and make only one USB port. then take a USB wifi stick (iirc they dont have all that much of a drain, and they are portable) like this . though the weight of this would be a concern, (not sure of the weight of the 2 ipod batteries) so you may need some sort of hanging clip that clips on either side of the SD card, but doesn't block the headphone jack.

Of course, to reduce cost, it'd be just 1 usb port, you supply the wifi, and the drivers are up to you. though the DS/ GBA battery is already 3.8v these are considerably cheaper and kinda easier to charge (around $20.00usd for 1 DS battery instead of $39.99usd for a single ipod battery).

anyway, pull apart my idea, the only problem i see is getting more battery covers for the gp2x units.

the only other thing i have to ask about, is there any rechargably li-ion battery mods for this thing yet? its a shame that this thing uses AAs.

EDIT: battery covers http://www.gp32z.com/product_p/0107.htm
EDIT2: maybe we use the battery from this? http://www.gp32z.com/product_p/0302.htm

Isn't the GP2X Sd port actually a SDIO port? Why not use a SD Wifi Card?

Just asking, I haven't gotten my GP2X yet (back ordered, but I do have a SDIO Wifi card fro my digital camera) WIth proper drivers it should work flawlessly, and you could map a network drive as your GP2 drive, imagine, 300GB of sorage ... mmmmmmmmmm...

~Cr8tive Leo... if it doesn't work, dammit, I will hack it to death to make it work.

You're idea is good too, I had a similar idea, will work on that too, can make moldsfor newer battery covers too...

d'oh, also...

If you get a Usb 1.1 wifi stick (still can get them here) I don't think you will have a power issue. I don't think, that's another thing I was looking into too.

Modders unite!

~Cr8tive Leo

if youre gonna use sdio wifi then youve got a usb port free for a powered external hard drive :)

i've got a cable rigged up to my GP2X which gives me full USB support. there's no need for a "BoB", just a creative little cable work and you've got everything you need to plug devices in to the GP2X.. i have a WLan card, Powermate, MIDI, and another USB->Serial adapter hooked up to my GP2X right now .. works just fine..

i've got a cable rigged up to my GP2X which gives me full USB support. there's no need for a "BoB", just a creative little cable work and you've got everything you need to plug devices in to the GP2X.. i have a WLan card, Powermate, MIDI, and another USB->Serial adapter hooked up to my GP2X right now .. works just fine..
Care to expand further on this?
A HOWTO text, including pin-outs would be nice to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back