Gp2x Vs Nokia N8x, N9x

Redsandro

Still Fresh
Website
www.rednet.nl
This topic is not about comparing these devices as game devices, this is about hardware.

I was wondering what you think about this;
The GP2x has a 200MHz ARM Processor and a 200MHz CoProcessor.
The Nokia N96, for example, has a dual ARM 9 CPU (264 MHz) with video accelerator.

The latter is newer and sounds more advanced. But it plays normal television shows (using DivXplayer from the guys at DivX labs) choppy while GP2x does it pretty neat.

Other similarities are screen size (320x240), architecture (ARM) and programming language (C++). Difference being the OS (Symbian vs Linux).

I'm just really curious what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason why the GP2X is doing better at video playback is because it has dedicated codec hardware for it.

The real problem here is that they fucked up the video bandwidth. No matter how hard you try, there is simply no way to feed it a full res signal at any higher than 25fps or so. It has the power to do video very well, but the way they implemented it is nothing short of stupid. The video converter they made spits out files that need to be double scaled; If the N800 was actually capable of playing hi-def video with its AMAZING high DPI screen, it would have taken the market by storm.

Thanks for the crippled hardware, Nokia! Grrr.....

palmertech said:
The real problem here is that they fucked up the video bandwidth. No matter how hard you try, there is simply no way to feed it a full res signal at any higher than 25fps or so. It has the power to do video very well, but the way they implemented it is nothing short of stupid. The video converter they made spits out files that need to be double scaled; If the N800 was actually capable of playing hi-def video with its AMAZING high DPI screen, it would have taken the market by storm.

Thanks for the crippled hardware, Nokia! Grrr.....
Sounds like Gizmondo again. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information. That's too bad.
My new N96 could have replaced my GP2x for movie watching purposes if it worked.

Hardware accelerated graphics is lacking in the GP2x, but I didn't know there was dedicated codec hardware. Apparently it outperforms "accelerated graphics".

Back