Gp2x Rocks, But Check This Thing Out

sold

songs in the key of AAAAAARRRGH!
I've had my 2x since September, and its worked out great for me. I've been lurking here for ages and I haven't posted much, so I'd like to say a quick thank you to the members of the community and the devs who have shared their knowledge and skills and made it possible for us all to get the 2x to do cool stuff :)

The gp2x and nintendo DS have my handheld needs covered. But this thing looks seriously cool.

http://onlyumpc.com/news/category/averatec/

The second image on the page is the likely end product.

It's apparently due out around July-August. Its the only umpc I have seen with dedicated gaming controls. Looks freakin' sweet. What do you all think?

Looks kind of like another lame attempt to turn a computer into a handheld gaming console to be honest, but I hope I'm wrong. I can see it being pretty handy as a PDA though.

UMPC's are generally much more expensive than gaming handhelds. The controls look way too small, and the device itself is too big. Gaming seems like an afterthought, rather than the main feature of the device. I think GP2X, PSP, and DS can rest easy ;) ..

I found an updated version here http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/07/averate...pc-takes-shape/ - it appears that they changed the D-Pad on the left side to one of those crap-tastic 4 button control thingies like the PSP. Whatever.

Yeah, it's a PC in your pocket... so was the HP Journada, the Sharp Zaurus, etc., ad nauseum. Personally I just want to run emulators and cool homebrew games; I couldn't care less about web browsing, multi-player gaming, picture taking, telephony, toasting bread, predicting the future, or whatever else the new handhelds can do. I like the GP2x, I'm sure the GP3X will be great, I'm sure there are tons of other handhelds that are/will be great but I'm fairly invested in this little guy and I'm happy.

Anyway, the Averatec looks cool but it's not really in the same class as the GP2X IMHO, sort of apples and oranges. Still, if anyone gets one I'd love to hear a review.

$800? Gaming controls... sort of. It looks like (looking at those changed designs) that the gaming controls were an after thought which they have shoehorned into the design.

I'm not feeling it with any of these UMPCs using the x86 arc. Maybe in a few years.

The first one looks pretty good.

I kind of like the idea of the screen sliding up with a KB under it.

I wonder how good MAME runs on it.

DaveC said:

Update: Ok, we've got some preliminary specs here! Look out for a 1GHz Celeron M, 30 or 40GB drive, up to 1GB RAM, 1.3 megapixel webcam, Bluetooth, 802.11b/g, WWAN optional, 4-in-1 card reader, external VGA and audio outs, and a 5-inch 800 x 480 display. Pepper Pad 3, watchout now, kid.

Hmmmm.....16:9 screen ratio.... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
OMars said:
DaveC said:

Update: Ok, we've got some preliminary specs here! Look out for a 1GHz Celeron M, 30 or 40GB drive, up to 1GB RAM, 1.3 megapixel webcam, Bluetooth, 802.11b/g, WWAN optional, 4-in-1 card reader, external VGA and audio outs, and a 5-inch 800 x 480 display. Pepper Pad 3, watchout now, kid.

Yeah but it has a vertical resolution of 480. With that you could just double the 240 we have now and it comes out even. No goofy fractional scaling. You would have bars on the sides but because the screen is 5" the image would still be a bit bigger than the GP2X.

DaveC said:
OMars said:
DaveC said:

Yeah but it has a vertical resolution of 480. With that you could just double the 240 we have now and it comes out even. No goofy fractional scaling. You would have bars on the sides but because the screen is 5" the image would still be a bit bigger than the GP2X.

It is a good size when you use "fit 4:3" on the psp. Why do you not like the screen on that? ;)

OMars said:
It is a good size when you use "fit 4:3" on the psp. Why do you not like the screen on that? ;)
Because when you "fit" to 4:3 on the PSP you are doing fractional scaling of 240 high to a weird 272 resolution giving blurryness and un-even pixel size. Even at that it only matches the size of the GP2X when at 1:1 it is not any larger. When you just double to 480 from 240 on this PC it divides even so you don't get odd scaling. Besides doubling on a 480 high screen that is 5" gives a much bigger/sharper image than fractional scaling to a 4.3" PSP screen. Plus I doubt this thing will ghost anywhere near as bad as the PSP.

DaveC said:
OMars said:
Because when you "fit" to 4:3 on the PSP you are doing fractional scaling of 240 high to a weird 272 resolution giving blurryness and un-even pixel size. Even at that it only matches the size of the GP2X when at 1:1 it is not any larger. When you just double to 480 from 240 on this PC it divides even so you don't get odd scaling. Besides doubling on a 480 high screen that is 5" gives a much bigger/sharper image than fractional scaling to a 4.3" PSP screen. Plus I doubt this thing will ghost anywhere near as bad as the PSP.

Okay... I just wanted to see what you'd say! :p

A dude by the name of jerry1 on the origami project forums emailed Averatec and recieved this response:

"Our Ultra Mobile UMPC has been pushed out until Q3. We are currently

in the process of working and finalizing designs of the product. But

it will be available in July - August 07' time frame.

Thank you, AVERATEC Sales Team"

LINK: http://origamiproject.com/forums/thread/17713.aspx

That information was posted in March. I hope its true cause i wanna see if they will actually deliver on what looks like a well designed and reasonably priced umpc.

Still, until an actual release, I suppose its all speculation.

Back