Gp2x Moist Resistance

Redsandro

Still Fresh
Website
www.rednet.nl
Hi,

Thanks to the speaker volume and storage capabilities, I prefer to use my F200 as a jukebox in the shower in stead of my crappier Sony Ericsson mobile phone.

Now I've never had my mobile phone die because of moist problems, but I was wondering if any one had bad luck with the GP2x. I sort of don't want to break it, but it's also actually what I use the GP2x for most.

Is the GP2x (inadvertedly) built to resist?
(Also a good song by Grip Inc. btw.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I also use my GP2X to listen to podcasts when I'm in the shower, and I never had any problem with moist so far :)

+1 to your sig :)

Bye, Magic Sam

Redsandro said:
Hi,

Thanks to the speaker volume and storage capabilities, I prefer to use my F200 as a jukebox in the shower in stead of my crappier Sony Ericsson mobile phone.

Now I've never had my mobile phone die because of moist problems, but I was wondering if any one had bad luck with the GP2x. I sort of don't want to break it, but it's also actually what I use the GP2x for most.

Is the GP2x (inadvertedly) built to resist?
(Also a good song by Grip Inc. btw.)
While I can't comment specifically about using it in the shower, I can say that there has been some complaints about certain parts coming loose and falling off the circuit board. One of these parts has something to do with power, because after loss of said part, the battery life is said to go down. Unless you take cold showers, I wouldn't use a gp2x in the shower. The insides are bound to get moist, and when they do it will rust and parts will fall off (most likely anyway. I can't say from experience).

(edit) I'm not trying to imply any danger with power, I am commenting on build quality issues. If parts are falling off during regular use, imagine what might happen if repeatedly exposed to steam from the shower.
Chris

Interesting points.

I guess the GP2x isn't made very airtight, as opposed to mobile phones.

Still, I haven't been traveling lately so I don't use the GP2x for anything else except music during shower and mythbusters when on the toilet. :p

Maybe if I keep the F200 in my pocket (pants) it won't get too moist.

Sam, out of curiousity. How long have you hapily lived with this habit?

It's never good to use an electronic device in moist conditions, unless (or: even when) it's specially designed to. You can expect your 2x to expose unwanted behaviour (buttons sticking or not workin) or even complete disfunctioning sooner or later.

If you really want to, I would recommend putting the 2x in a sealed plastic bag. It will let most of the sound pass and controls are more or less usable, save the touchscreen. And it will prolongue the life of your beloved toy.

Redsandro said:
Maybe if I keep the F200 in my pocket (pants) it won't get too moist.
Doesn't keeping your pants on in the shower kind of defeat the point a bit? And why do yours have pockets? I've never seen pants with pockets before.

D.

Squirrel61 said:
If you really want to, I would recommend putting the 2x in a sealed plastic bag. It will let most of the sound pass and controls are more or less usable, save the touchscreen. And it will prolongue the life of your beloved toy.

I guess as long as you are careful and take note with Squirral61's advise it'll be fine. :)

Back