Gp2x Linux Source Release

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
All,

I am very pleased to relay the fact that DignSys (GamePark Holdings Linux Sub-Contractor) have released the source code to the U-Boot boot loader and Linux kernel used on the GP2X on there web site.

This is the 1st code release and efforts are ongoing to resolve any outstanding aspects surrounding code used on the GP2X. I will be checking of the status of this code and fitness to compile, completeness etc. over the next few days, any feedback in that area is greatly appreciated.

DignSys have stated that they will update this code periodically to ensure it is kept inline with the release of binaries on the console.

The source code can be found on DignSys English website under Embedded Linux Solution > MagicEyes MMSP2.

A direct link is available here. Please only download this code if you need it, it would seem slightly unfair to kill the DignSys website with unnecessary downloads and I understand there website is not on the fastest of links.

This code is mirrored via SourceForge/Open2x's CVS
(it may take a little while for the mirroring to show all the code).

If you wish to view bits of the code using a browser click here.

To get the code from CVS check out the "gph" (all), "linux-gp2x" (kernel) or "u-boot-gp2x" (boot loader) modules.

On a personal note thank you to everybody who has helped in the process of beginning to resolve this matter (GP32x.de, GBAX.Com, #GP32Dev and Mr Pearlmutter especially) and thank you to GamePark Holdings and DignSys for making efforts to ensure compliance in this area.

I only hope this co-operation will continue and shortly extend to any GPL code used in user-space applications and updates to this base code.

Oh yeah!

Just a question... How is Dignisys related to GPH? (just curious...)

This is a nice first step, i guess SDL and mplayer will come next...

Do the released sources include the menu?

I'm not much of a low-level hacker but I'd like to make a lot of improvements to the menu...

RiX0R posted on Dec 1 2005 at 11:05 AM said:
Do the released sources include the menu?

I'm not much of a low-level hacker but I'd like to make a lot of improvements to the menu...

No, kernel and boot loader only as of now.

Last edited by a moderator:
AWESOME!
That's what I'm talking about. Finally, GP2X rocks!
Ok I'm placing my gp2x order tomorrow with this great news after browsing the sources.

Regarding the menu: it isn't that hard to rewrite a menu displayer using sdl lib...
Will probably do that myself when I get my gp2x in the mail :). Cool thing would be to make it themeable using not only skins but also xml config files, like the mythtv menu structure. This way you can make your own custom menus/submenus by just changing a few xml files. Makes the theming possibilities much more versatile as well ;).

I see they have completely missed out the Direct Rendering Manager directory from the kernel source code - If wonder if this is because the directory name is "DRM" ? :)

Anyone who wants to know the differences between the source code already released by MagicEyes (published on DJW's Open2X site) and the release of the gp2x version can find out here:

http://ibiblio.org/paulc/gp2x-gen/gp2xkernel.mdi

It's in Microsoft Document Imager format. I don't have a PDF writer available. Maybe someone can make a PDF of it? There's probably a viewer for these files somewhere. Don't ask me where though.

To safe their bandtwidth, please wait a while, I'm currently uploading to the archive!

timofonic posted on Dec 1 2005 at 04:28 PM said:
That ViewCVS only have empty folders!

DJWillis posted on Dec 1 2005 at 10:07 AM said:
This code is mirrored via SourceForge/Open2x's CVS
(it may take a little while for the mirroring to show all the code).

:D :D

Oops, sorry. I didn't know that the "litle" is "a lot more", like "two more weeks"... ;)

timofonic posted on Dec 1 2005 at 04:36 PM said:
Oops at sorry. I didn't know that the "litle" is "a lot more", like "two more weeks"... ;)

Huhh,

I uploaded the DignSys GP2X code this morning, where does 2 weeks come into this?

There is about 160MB of source in a full extracted kernel. I guess that takes a bit or time to mirror.

Thanks to everyone who mailed GPH about this and convinced them to release the source.

Now we can stop the debate about how evil GPH may or may not be for trying to steal GPLed code and get on with enjoying ourselves.

Hurrah!

Also, any chance someone could seed a torrent? Save on some people's hosting bills.

How long before someone rewrites what has been released 100 times more efficent....hehe

Back