Gp2x Cpu Pins

Cool pictures! Did you fry your GP2X somehow and decide to use it for reverse engineering or did you just get bored with it? :)

Looks like someone has taken a blowlamp to there gp2x from the looks of those ram chips...

Some useful information there, but anyone viewing them should take into account that it looks like a 6 layer board, so if something isn't immediately connected on the outside, it could still be conneted on one of the inner layers.

Put the board in an even for a bit, and you should be able to split the layers apart once theres enough heat, but you probably won't be able to trace any of the tracks anymore!

sure it's possible, but the cost of the bga rework station and the faster mmsp's at one-off prices may cost a little more than the gp2x costs...

I don't rework BGA's (I can't even get them to stick to a board without roasting them with a blowlamp), so I'd look somewhere else :)

these pictures were taken by turkish gp2x dist. (mfk). they had a "dead" gp2x..

Cool pictures! Did you fry your GP2X somehow and decide to use it for reverse engineering or did you just get bored with it? :)

i didn't see the board myself but i was told it is a simple double side board.
mfk is serving his military service and we may ask him to x-ray the board so that we can learn more :)

Looks like someone has taken a blowlamp to there gp2x from the looks of those ram chips...

Some useful information there, but anyone viewing them should take into account that it looks like a 6 layer board, so if something isn't immediately connected on the outside, it could still be conneted on one of the inner layers.

Put the board in an even for a bit, and you should be able to split the layers apart once theres enough heat, but you probably won't be able to trace any of the tracks anymore!

Last edited by a moderator:
GnoStiC posted on Feb 1 2007 at 05:59 PM said:
i didn't see the board myself but i was told it is a simple double side board.
mfk is serving his military service and we may ask him to x-ray the board so that we can learn more :)

Well, I see lots of via's on that board with no connection to them. That usually means they are either connected on internal layers, or just put there for fun ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This board appears to have 6 layers. There are pads on the processor that are brought out to vias on the top layer that are not routed on the bottom layer. Assuming any engineer worth anything would have a power and ground plane for a system running at 200+MHz and the complexity does not appear to need more than one or two inner signal layers, six total layers is probably accurate.

Back