Got a New Computer!

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Ok, so I got a new computer yesterday with a 120 GB harddrive. All of my stuff is in my old computer's 40 GB harddrive. But the thing is, in my old harddrive I have it set to user log ins that require a password (I set it so that the files can only be read by the person whom they belong to).

I first hooked up my 40 GB as the slave and looked into the harddrive to find my user folder which contains all of my files, when I double-click it, it says that it is not accessible. When I right click it, there is something there called "OmniPass Decrypt File(s)". When I click on it, a window is brought up which has three fields, User Name, Domain, Password. I knew what my user name and password was for the log in so I entered them and I got an error that said "The UserName you have entered is not a vaild user in OmniPass. Please try aggain."

So, then I put my 40GB as the master but I got an error when trying to boot the harddrive.

So what do I do? I know my log in and password but how do I use them to access my password? And what is this OmniPass thing?

you can try using it as the master on the second IDE bus

you can look for someone with a computer similar to your old one

you can try a temp fix on you old computer, buy the minium processor needed to get it going.

you can try your local data salvage company

you can kiss the data good bye (been there, done that, done regular backups ever since)

you can try using it as the master on the second IDE bus

you can look for someone with a computer similar to your old one

you can try a temp fix on you old computer, buy the minium processor needed to get it going.

you can try your local data salvage company

you can kiss the data good bye (been there, done that, done regular backups ever since)
I did the first two already but to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I click on it, a window is brought up which has three fields, User Name, Domain, Password. I knew what my user name and password was for the log in so I entered them and I got an error that said "The UserName you have entered is not a vaild user in OmniPass. Please try aggain."
The error message is standard - whether you've entered incorrect name or password or domain. Did you enter a domain name? If not try 127.0.0.1

According to Omnipass, in the absence of a domain name, you enter the name of your computer. Can you remember the name of your old computer ?

I don't know it. Even if I did know it, wouldn't I still need a correct user name. It always says that the User Name is invalid.

I don't know it. Even if I did know it, wouldn't I still need a correct user name. It always says that the User Name is invalid.
Security software will always say "invalid username" no matter what was entered incorrectly. Think about it - if it said "invalid password" then you would know you had the correct username and could try different passwords to crack it - and so on.
You may find your old computer's name on the recovery disk, if there was one. You can find your new computer's name by rightclicking "Network", or something like that, and then "Properties", "Identification".

So all I need is my old computer's name? Well, I built my old computer from the ground up so I think I'm out of luck (No recovery disk).

OK Azure - we're running out of ideas here, but maybe try this :- If your old 40Gb disk was a windows disk then look for the files SYSTEM.DAT or USER.DAT in the windows directory. Open either of these files with Notepad or Wordpad and search ( edit - find) for the word ComputerName. The text appearing after it will be the name of your old computer.

OK Azure - we're running out of ideas here, but maybe try this :- If your old 40Gb disk was a windows disk then look for the files SYSTEM.DAT or USER.DAT in the windows directory. Open either of these files with Notepad or Wordpad and search ( edit - find) for the word ComputerName. The text appearing after it will be the name of your old computer.
I couldn't find USER.DAT, but I didn find SYSTEM.DAT, and when I opened it about only 12 lines of text and without using the find feature I didn't see ComputerName.

hahhahahhahahhaha you bought a new computer because the processor messed up???????hhahahahaah is that a joke or have you just honestly bin ripped off?

hahhahahhahahhaha you bought a new computer because the processor messed up???????hhahahahaah is that a joke or have you just honestly bin ripped off?
why has he been ripped off, maybe his old computer had a different/older Processor to the one he just bought.
This is the second nasty remark from you ive replied to, The other being about xbox joypad convertors.
Im not trying to cause any trouble, I just dont see why you need to be so harsh with your comments

sorry im not tryin to be harsh but i just think it would have been easier to buy a new proceesor the same as he had before depending on what it is he could buy another even a 486 !or amd 1300?if it did come to the worst and he did short circuit his motherboard or it has melted partly he could go and get a new motherboard,i have built many of my own pcs and modded them from overclocking to buillding to just changing leds.sorry if i have come across badly i hope no harm is done. ;) :)

That makes NO sense!
i don't see why i should pay money to have an OLD pc.
when i buy a new pc then i buy a NEW pc!

But maybe i'm the only one who spents his money for new stuff.
I guess all other perople here just bought there 5th 133 mmx because this is easier.

but thats off topic.

------

I just thoght about booting in dos too, but if the files are decoded this would make no sense, bacause dos couldn't acess them.

So ARE the files decoded? Or is this just a LOCK so u cant enter the folder?

My old pc was an Athlon XP 1700+ with 386mb ddr pc2100 ram 10x cd burner and a cd rom drive and 40 GB harddrive, this one is an Atholon XP 3000+ DVD burner CDR combo and cd rom drive, 512mb ddr pc2700 ram and 120 GB Harddrive with a multi card reader which I use for my GP32 all the time.

Back