Good news from Microsoft !

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

\o/

They are so masochist xD

they have kind of painted themselves into a corner, in order to have people believe the lie that the microsoft market place is about safety - hence the reason for the windows version that can only install market apps and is therefore perfectly save HAHAHA (its more about the profits google and apple make from their app stores and ms don't) in order to maintain this "appearance" they have to stamp on things that are even in a legal grey area, even if you own the original cartridge in some countries copying the contents of that cartridge and playing it even without making it available and even despite the fact you own it, is not legal (go figure)

I saw this on /. and was surprised actually, I'm not a console gamer and I just thought it was logical that console makers would ban emulators. It makes no sense for a company to sell a program on their platform that plays 100s if not 1000s of games. Are there straight up emulators on Sony and Nintendo consoles? I know Nintendo emulates games from their past systems but they don't just have a app that lets you load roms so that doesn't really count.

its very short sighted to "ban" emulation of obsolete consoles that the company is making no money from. Instead the history and culture behind your obsolete catalogue can if sensibly and thoughtfully nurtured build a strong and loyal following that will happily support your current catalogue AND even advertise via word of mouth.

I don't know, I think it is for the better anyway, get kids into emulators through computers. So many kids, even teens, have no idea how to use computers. They just know how to sit in front of the idiot box and hit 'A' or touch a screen of a tablet/phone. Get them a Pi and help them set up retro pie.

If you're an adult and can't set up some sort of open electronic device to play roms I would seriously look into sterilization.

Look, Microsoft is a corporation, that is it, it exists to make money, not preserve culture. If they aren't making money off of emulation then why would you expect them to?

Reactions: ___
hence the reason for the windows version that can only install market apps
Do they make such an OS (apart from windows mobile)? In my experience of my father's machine, you can still download apps off random websites as an .msi package or NSIS installer exe, click OK to a few security dialogues and then just run it. It does seem to stop you modifying it in the programs file folder, which I found an annoyance when I wanted to patch the launching batch file of an open source tool, but that's the only difference to installing and maintaining apps that I noticed on win10.

Banning emulators is nothing new though. It is hard for a company to allow emulators as they might introduce legal issues, not allowing them is the safest way to prevent lawsuits.

The reason they are doing that, knowing they don't risk much can either be that they deem it take share from their new game or that they plan to start selling legally package old game+emulator package all in one... If it's the former, then it's abad move, lots of people will get away from them for such things, if it's the later then it is business as usual...

Look, Microsoft is a corporation, that is it, it exists to make money, not preserve culture. If they aren't making money off of emulation then why would you expect them to?
I was talking about the retro console manufacturers (who will not doubt be pressuring MS not MS themselves)

Do they make such an OS (apart from windows mobile)?
They had strong plans to do this by default with "Window 10 Cloud" only allowing app store apps to be installed, however in a leaked developer version in the settings this can be switched off, but if is will be the case when its released, who knows...

all in all I think this move by MS is great as it may well encourage people to set up and learn how to use an embedded system like a Pi or Pyra...

sadly I think most kids (certainly my nephew!) are into more modern games, just try prising them away from minecraft or when older some formulaic slaughter fest

Often its shall we say "gentlemen of a certain age" - and it does seem to be prominently men by and large, who are retro gaming mainly for nostalgia reasons - that said I'd rather have lofi graphics and good game play, and the wife is mad for sonic!

An emulator is a competitor to their shop. End of story.

OFF: Typing I just missed a 't' there, which reminded me of an English accent, I know from some tv-shows, where they cannot articulate 't's. What is it called? I like it. It sounds funny.
"An emula'or is a compe'i'or 'o their shops." or s.th. like that.

Ah, I've heard it in a number of places; it seems to be a feature the youth have picked up on in a number of regions. Wiki reckons it's most common in the cockney accent though.

Back