GOG games that run on Pandora

DaMummy

Soldier Paste
Which games sold on GOG.com run on the pandora in any which way, i should pick up some of those as well i guess, and it seems a lot of people praise the baldurs gate series, so i figure id give it a try myself.

ED said that he couldn't get the GOG release of Baldur's Gate to work so you might want to ask him or someone else that has tried it. It is a travesty if this is the case, BG is one of the best CRPG out there, gemrb runs on a ton of devices, and GOG is the easiest way to get the games.

I was about the buy all of the Infinity engine games I was missing when I read ED say that. It bums me out, I was really looking forward to playing the one's I missed. I have the first one with out the expansion and the complete second though, haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

If you're going going to get one to try go for the second one, it is supposed to run better and it has the longer/better story line of the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
wont get any of em until i hear some confirmation that they run on pandora, this goes for any gog games

If the other games are like the freebies then there is the original version and the modern windows version. So DOS games come with the DOS game and another download that is the windows executable. Did you sign up and get the freebies? I can't remember what they were now, Beneath a Steel Sky was one.

Also, they didn't have a sale this weekend. This was the first weekend with my Pandora and I was going to risk getting a game that worked on it if there was one on sale. Oh well.

on i havent bought anything yet, nor have i signed up, im waiting for someone to tell me which games actually work and are worth playing so i can grab em

If the other games are like the freebies then there is the original version and the modern windows version. So DOS games come with the DOS game and another download that is the windows executable.
No.

I purchased The Incredible Machine Mega Pack a while ago; What you get is an installer for Microsoft Windows (which can be run via WINE if you're using Linux), which basically installs the original MS-DOS games, plus DOSBox. Go into the directory everything was installed to, and there are the original files that you're after. That's it.

What you describe may be the case for Beneath A Steel Sky because I'm pretty sure that there's a modern engine-remake for that title. :p However, it doesn't seem to be the case for DOSBox-bundled MS-DOS titles being sold by GOG.com.

What you describe may be the case for Beneath A Steel Sky because I'm pretty sure that there's a modern engine-remake for that title. :p
Beneath a Steel Sky is bundled with Scummvm, as are many other adventure games :)

So most of the older games sold through GoG are either bundled with DosBox or Scummvm. Native Windows games they just make sure they'll run in later versions of Windows.

I think they're wrapped in a DOSbox environment somehow, there is a interview with someone from GOG on the DOSbox website talking about how they do this. I have not purchased anything from them, just the freebies, but all 3 came this way, not just Beneath a Steel Sky.

I purchased The Incredible Machine Mega Pack a while ago; What you get is an installer for Microsoft Windows (which can be run via WINE if you're using Linux), which basically installs the original MS-DOS games, plus DOSBox

So you're saying there was one file to download or two? I know that one of the downloads makes the game runnable without ever needing to configure DOSbox or even see a DOS prompt. 99.9% of people do not want to mess with a DOS prompt.

If there is one download somehow you can get the DOS game out of it so you can play it on other devices, I know because I've read blog posts about how great that they get the plain DOS game and can run it on their cell phone or whatever. They might have changed, if they have and make it so you can only run the games on Windows I'll never buy anything from them, that is just dumb packaging DOS games so they can only be played on modern windows.

on i havent bought anything yet, nor have i signed up, im waiting for someone to tell me which games actually work and are worth playing so i can grab em
Just sign up, you get a few free games for signing up and when they add more free games for those that sign up you'll get those also. There is really no reason to hold off. Besides, they have a lot of great games that you will not be able to play on the Pandora for dirt cheap, maybe you'll want one of those.

So you're saying there was one file to download or two? I know that one of the downloads makes the game runnable without ever needing to configure DOSbox or even see a DOS prompt. 99.9% of people do not want to mess with a DOS prompt.

If there is one download somehow you can get the DOS game out of it so you can play it on other devices, I know because I've read blog posts about how great that they get the plain DOS game and can run it on their cell phone or whatever. They might have changed, if they have and make it so you can only run the games on Windows I'll never buy anything from them, that is just dumb packaging DOS games so they can only be played on modern windows.
It's a single download. The installer will install DosBox or Scummvm if it isn't already installed, install the game, and then copy the DosBox config that they've created into that directory. The bottom of a DoxBox configuration file is an autoexec.bat equivalent. It will execute a set of commands, such as

Code:
mount d C:\path\to\game

d:

cd game

game.exe

exit

Users never see a DOS prompt, it just runs. Similar with the Scummvm games, they just pass it the argument to play the game rather than pull up the list.

The only way to get the actual game out, as far as I know, is to first install it, either in Windows or in Linux via WINE, complete with the Windows version of DosBox or Scummvm, and then go to the install directory and just copy the installed game out of its directory.

Baldur's gate 1 + 2 should run with GemRB, although I doubt it is 100% and definitely beta.

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Game/gemrb062.inf

Duke Nukem 3d (using engine)

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Game/eduke32SDL.inf

Rise of the triad (using engine)

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Game/rott.inf

Descent (using engine)

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Game/d1x-rebirth.inf

Heroes of Might and Magic II using Free Heroes 2

http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Game/FHeroes2.inf

Using ScummVM (check the website for a full list: http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/) a good load of adventure game:

Broken Sword 1

Broken Sword 2

Beneath a steel sky (free)

King's Quest I + II + III

Police Quest I + II + III

The Feeble Files

Simon the Sorcerer 1

Simon the Sorcerer 2

Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter

Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge

Space Quest III

Space Quest IV

Space Quest V

and I might be missing some ;)

thank you, just the answer i was looking for, i hear some rumors on icewind dale, whats the word on that with gemrb?

All of the ultimas 1-8 will run in dosbox on pandora (although 7-8 are pushing performance, but those also have open source engines i.e exalt). I expect the underworld series takes too many cycles. Worlds series should run decent enough.

Wing Commander 1-2 will run in dosbox on pandora

LBA should run in dosbox, but i expect it will need too many cycles. There is also a open source engine, but i have not tried it yet.

Alone in the Dark 1-3 run in dosbox on pandora

Back