Gmenu2x Says My 8 Gb Sdhc Is 3583 Mb.

TSK

Still Fresh
Website
www.virtualnes.com
Thought this was all in all a little peculiar:
  • I got an 8 GB SDHC from Newegg. It's made by A-Data. It keeps identifying as 3.5 GB in GMenu2X. Windows sees it as 7.51 GB, which given FAT32 formatting, is probably normal.
  • I actually didn't format it with a card reader, I used the GP2X to do that. Evidently none of my card readers support SDHC. (Damn wankers...) Windows seems to be alright with it, it's the GP2X that is acting odd.
  • As per the instructions on here, I downloaded the hex editor, wrote the first 512 bytes as 00, and reformatted (again, using the GP2X.) That did not fix the situation.
  • And Exporer, launched from GMenu2X, leaves me with a black screen with the first column of pixels slightly grey.
Any Suggestions?

TSK said:
I got an 8 GB SDHC from Newegg. It's made by A-Data. It keeps identifying as 3.5 GB in GMenu2X. Windows sees it as 7.51 GB, which given FAT32 formatting, is probably normal.
I don't have any SDHC, so I'm only guessing here. The Gp2x is a 32 bits machine. Maybe GMenu2x uses int variables to store capacities, and that means 32 bits integers on the Gp2x. 2 powered to 32 is 4GB. In this case, 4GB is the maximum capacity that GMenu2x is able to show. Actually, it shows 7.51GB mod 4GB, i.e, 3.51GB.

According to the specifications of the F200, the Gp2x is able to manage up to 32GB SDHC cards. Maybe the memory problem is only in the information that GMenu2x shows on the screen, and the kernel internally uses the card with its actual 8GB size.

A definitive test: get access to a shell (installing and running sterm, for example), run df (that's d and f without spaces) and read the output for the actual size of the SDHC.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a general problem with gmenu2x. It also happens with F-100 and notaz SDHC patch. The card itself should works flawlessly.

Regards,
Stephan

Back