GLBasic or QTM

danielo515

Hello to everyone,

As many probably know, I'm interested in developing apps for pandora.

I was wondering what could be better for simple applications with a personal GUI, and I have two tools in mind, and I don't know to which stick to:

GLBASIC

QTM

Both are cross-platform, but GLBASIC looks easier, but I'm worried about which kind of GUI can you do with it.

GLBasic looks also more suitable for iphone, android, linux and windows, so i prefer to learn a language which I can use for many platforms.

QTM looks a bit abandoned (may I'm mistaken), and a bit harder, but there are some good tools (such as PNDmanager) in that sub-language, so, I don't know what to do.

Could someone point me in some direction?

The ability of the scene to help me when I got stucked is also important for me.

But that is for Full desktop oriented GUI, or it isn't?

I'm interested in more "personal interfaces".

Can be that be achieved with PyGtk or PyCairo?

But that is for Full desktop oriented GUI, or it isn't?

I'm interested in more "personal interfaces".

Can be that be achieved with PyGtk or PyCairo?
Yes, you can create your custom interfaces of course. They provide flexibility to do so, but you have to build the interface yourself from the ground up. In other words, you cna create your own UI and display what you want on screen, be it images, vectors, polygons and so on. 

GLBasic can create custom GUIs for ANY system, although it originally wasn't really designed for GUIs - it's primarily a games creation language. However, it does them and does them well. I don't tend to use the native GUI systems though as I tend to like more control over its look and feel, so always create my own. As I work mainly on games I generally hate standard GUIs in games (eg iPhone etc.) that all look the same and don't fit in with the stylings of the game itself.

GLBasic compiles to pretty much every platform imaginable, not just iOS, Android etc. There is almost nothing it can't do - either directly or with the use of external libraries.

I can't speak for other languages as I don't use them any more - I've not needed to in 5 years, however, what I would say is that if your primary purpose is not to create games, then other languages might be a better option.

GLBasic can create custom GUIs for ANY system, although it originally wasn't really designed for GUIs - it's primarily a games creation language. However, it does them and does them well. I don't tend to use the native GUI systems though as I tend to like more control over its look and feel, so always create my own. As I work mainly on games I generally hate standard GUIs in games (eg iPhone etc.) that all look the same and don't fit in with the stylings of the game itself.

GLBasic compiles to pretty much every platform imaginable, not just iOS, Android etc. There is almost nothing it can't do - either directly or with the use of external libraries.

I can't speak for other languages as I don't use them any more - I've not needed to in 5 years, however, what I would say is that if your primary purpose is not to create games, then other languages might be a better option.

I spent lot of time in the past creating games, with no very satisfactory result (however, programming games was mi first touch with programming).

Now I want to focus in other kind of things such as scripts for certain tasks (some of them not as usual as the script languages are prepared to), and I want to do it for many platforms, thats why I though in GLBasic.

At least, is suitable for keyboard type input?

Back