Glass Screen Help

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
well, I have a need now to do the glass screen mod myself now, damn bookbag...
anyways, anyone around the USA I could get one from, and if not, Ill need talked through buying from overseas
also, is there a guide or instructions on how to do the glass screen mod whenever I get it?

thx

~Octavious

PS. I searched the forums for glass screen and couldnt find the info I need

Score one for the Wayback Machine.

GBAX, circa August 2003

As for getting the glass itself, it should cost next to nothing at a framing studio or glass factory. I can't rememeber the dimensions for sure (76 x 55 x 1mm?), but show them your dented screen and they should be able to match it easily.

EDIT: That got moved fast... :blink:

yeah you should just be able to take the broke screen to a glass store and the will make one for you. i had to replace mine i just traced the shape on to some plexy glass that i had laying around worked like a charm and the screen was so much clearer.

Bourbon

some people will tell you it has to be 1 mm glass... it really doesn't 2 mm will just make your grey border stick out 1 mm more than normal and is much sturdier than the 1mm. Don't use picture glass... use window glass. The grain quality is different, thus picture glass is more brittle and cracks easier... window glass was designed to be hardier.

Octavious posted on Dec 23 2004 at 11:57 PM said:
well, I have a need now to do the glass screen mod myself now, damn bookbag...
anyways, anyone around the USA I could get one from, and if not, Ill need talked through buying from overseas
also, is there a guide or instructions on how to do the glass screen mod whenever I get it?

thx

~Octavious

PS. I searched the forums for glass screen and couldnt find the info I need

It sounds like you are kind of rough with it. Throwing it in a bookbag full of books will likely crack glass that is 1mm. That is what I use but I keep it in a hard case.

For bookbag use use 2mm or more, the frame will just stick out. You get it in a hardware store. I suggest cutting it slightly smaller than the plastic one so if you are not lined up perfect with the new one it will still fit, and sand down the corners 2 mm. Even 2mm could break if you throw the GP32 in with books and stuff though. Maybe try to find some thick diving bell glass ;) j/k or get a hard case for the GP32.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I dont throw stuff in there, its just theres this one clip thing in my gp32 pocket, it put one hell of a scratch in the plastic
I dont know where this dent idea came from tho...
I dont really have a glass store around...
anyoen in the US sellin them??
Or, to the guy who used plexiglass, can I pick that up at a hardware store?
If so,can it be cut using a dremel saw blade?
I am a state ranked polevaulter, so I know that plexi is strong, but I also know it can splinter like a bitch
would the dremel cut clean or would it splinter??

~Octavious

o ya, my basd about the wrong section... I should know better

Most big hardware stores have plexiglass, maybe even real glass. I know the Home Depot (a.k.a Expo Home Center [or something like that]) has plexiglass.

I live in a 20000 people town in Finland, and we have two glass shops. B)

Plus a framing shop....

I'd imagine, if you happen have photography related shop nearby, they might have readymade frames for pictures, with glasses. Just get big enough an cut it a bit, then sandpaper. And I do believe your basic supermarkets sell frames and the likes, possibly with glass.

Octavious posted on Dec 24 2004 at 04:10 AM said:
well, I dont throw stuff in there, its just theres this one clip thing in my gp32 pocket, it put one hell of a scratch in the plastic
I am a state ranked polevaulter, so I know that plexi is strong, but I also know it can splinter like a bitch

~Octavious

Don't bother with plexiglass, it scratches easy too, it is just plastic. You are better off with glass, just be careful.

well, I am not sure about availability of glass, but ill look into it
also, is 2mm close to 1/16 inch? I dont know metric conversions that small
would the plexi be fine for a temporary screen?
It wont get scratched, will it be strong ebough?
so, would 1/16 inch work for the size of plexi?

~Octavious

Octavious posted on Dec 24 2004 at 04:10 AM said:

~Octavious

Ive had my plexi cover in for about 2 months and have not developed any scratches. You should be able to get it at a hardware store if you use a saw just rember that the material must be bigger than 2 teeth of the saw blade or it will crack like hell.

Bourbon

im gonna Dremel it at 35000 RPM
think that will do the trick?
If I need to, I have an industrial band saw thats bigger than I am, but thats a little overkill right?

~Octavious

Back