Get Gabe And Tycho A Gp2x?

Sofox

Still Fresh
Why don't we send Gabe and Tycho from Penny Arcade ( www.pennyarcade.com ) a GP2x?

For those who don't know, Penny Arcade is a regular webcomic/ranting space by 2 hardcore gamers called Gabe and Tycho. They've been at this for years and now have a huge audience, are known by most hardcore gamers, and even have influence over and respect from the professional gaming industry.

So the plan is simple: Send Gabe and Tycho a free GP2x (maybe two)!

It's classic marketing, they get the handheld, play with it, and inevitably write out a good report or two on their website about it, and we'll instantly have a huge and captive audience hearing about the GP2x and considering buying one of them themselves, right in time for Christmas too! It could swing the other way though, if they don't like it or find problems with it, they'll let their audience know (part of why they've got such credibility). This means they need to get the best impression possible with it. A good idea is to include extra stuff in the GP2x package to help things along, such as a CD of it's best software, a printout of the community GP2x instruction manual, a pack of NIMH rechargeable batteries with chargers, a sheet of popular GP2x websites and important notes about the system, and maybe stuff like the TV out, SD card and GP2x case just to help things along.
It sounds like a lot, but a simple set of posts on Penny Arcade could alert a huge audience of the GP2x, and a GP2x and a few accessories are well worth the sort of exposure we could get if they take to it.
I'm not sure who should do it, while it could be community driven with donations, the most logical option would be for a GP2x retailer to send it as they have the stock, will benefit the most from a rise in awareness of the console, and could put their website address and shop name in the package, making things even better for themselves when the news post hits.
So there you have it, a simple plan, a serious and strong potential effect, a brilliant chance to really push the system while using minimal resources. So what do you think?

I dont think that is a good plan at all. Gabe and Tycho are definitely not the type of people that would enjoy a GP2X. Tycho first of all doesnt like emulators and he thinks that getting ROMS is difficult and questionably legal. It seems that Gabe doesnt enjoy things that are any more difficult than putting in the CD and playing the game immediately. Any kind of difficulty in loading or playing tends to throw him off.

The GP2X is (currently) a niche product for people that want to tinker with something to get its full potential. Ive read PA for a long time and I really do not think bringing the GP2X to their attention would be a bad idea.

I'm a regular at the PA fourms (well was cause the mods have gone insane at the moment). It would be a bad idea, they would mostly slam it for it's lack of games and focus on emulation.

Yeah, definitely seems like something they would ridicule and bitch about. That would not help.

Some say that any publicity is good publicity, and whoever wants to get one, IMHO would get one anyway. It could just give it visibility, even more if it went with an SD with full Vectar and Payback, and every goodies the homebrew coders have been creating. A sponsorship from the distributor of the commercial games for a version tailored for them would be great.

A huge SD with everything organized, a better menu theme, or one of the new menu apps that seem to praised by so many people.

Considering their comic mocked the GBA and GBA-SP I'm pretty sure they'd tear the GP2X apart in their comic. That's not good publicity if you tell lots of people about a system, but the first thing you say is that it's a terrible piece of shit.

Maybe I'm just tired right now, and do not think clearly, but it looks to me like you're trying to impress these two blokes as if they're some kind of royalty. It makes no difference what position they hold, and how influential they are... if you pamper them like that, anyone who'll buy the 2X based on their supposed positive feedback will expect a similar simplicity, when in fact that would be an unrealistic GP2X experience.

We'd end up with hundreds of 15 year olds spreading bullshit about the poor thing (after someone flames them for their 7th "how to download overcloicked gamez on SD"* thread) on who knows how many main-stream forums, and so on. That would hurt more than it would help. Advertising it in developer communities, Linux communities, and of course indie game communities would be a grand idea though, as opposed to sucking up to two plug and play sheep.

- Alex

* :D

i think its a good idea, just make sure not to PA.
find another group who has infulence and see if they like emulation.
if they likem then i think it would be good marketing.
just know your audience :)

Alex. posted on Dec 6 2006 at 09:49 PM said:
It makes no difference what position they hold, and how influential they are... if you pamper them like that, anyone who'll buy the 2X based on their supposed positive feedback will expect a similar simplicity, when in fact that would be an unrealistic GP2X experience.

We'd end up with hundreds of 15 year olds spreading bullshit about the poor thing (after someone flames them for their 7th "how to download overcloicked gamez on SD"* thread) on who knows how many main-stream forums, and so on. That would hurt more than it would help. Advertising it in developer communities, Linux communities, and of course indie game communities would be a grand idea though, as opposed to sucking up to two plug and play sheep.

On a second thought, I totally agree with you. Just imagining them coming here to whine... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back