German Working Culture

There's a lot of bullshit in there.

German workers don't have unparalleled worker protection.

High GDP doesn't mean high productivity, 

Being able to slack off and having unrelated conversations has been shown to boost productivity rather than reduce it

As for productivity / working hours, it's very difficult to consider since there's sometimes a difference between the official and the actual working hours, and the impact of the number of working hours won't be the same for a manual worker and a creative worker.

The part about paid leaves and maternity leave is quite right, though.

This is exactly the opposite of what I do here.

But this is an University, not a typical german Company.

Here it is not really important to work a definitive amount of time. It is important, that you get the job done in time.

Well some companys like Zalando (amazon for cloth) has very bad working condition and forbids talking and stuff, But mostly very young people work there. You have strong worker rights and unions in Germany in general (viva GDL and FAU).

You have a very big and automated industry (industry 4.0) and have a lot of research. This is a reason why german has a high production. And very low wages for people out-of-work and very low social money for people out-of-work since the year 2000. This way we did wage dumping against France, Greece, Italy and Spain and stole their jobs and took them to Germany. This is why they are very pissed on Germany.

Picture of the German chancelor from a greece news paper:

16241380,12811524,dmData,plMerkelss+%25281330001281408%2529+%25281330001281408%2529.jpg

Being able to slack off and having unrelated conversations has been shown to boost productivity rather than reduce it
That's why we have these rules:

If you work for a period of 6 hours, you have to rest for 30min somewhere in between,

if you work for over 9 hours, you have to rest for 60min in total sometime.

Those breaks are not payed by the company = are not counted as working time though.

You are not even allowed to not take your break to go home a bit earlier.

Just talking about the theory though.

Well paid people usually slack off a lot more than the badly paid ones here, because they usually got less supervision and a more stable job, which has become a bit more rare since this whole wage dumping that occured here on a large scale making many people even only earn 1 - 2,5€ per hour if anything at all (long term "internship", crafting apprenticeship in eastern Germany, etc...).

Last edited by a moderator:
post-2030-0-57273800-1415976971.png

I+had+fun+once_01aa68_4900383.png

Naaah, every company I know allows private web surfing.
Wow, Thanks for the quick reply, ED, didn't expect you will be the one who answer first. Waiting for your video and pictures from Electronica
Videos and Pictures...? I only had one meeting after another, no video or picture time.

It's nothing spectacular anyways ;)

In Germany,many People have often the Feeling that you life to Work and not work for Life.

I leave in the Morning around 9AM from home to work..

..then i am very often back Home @9PM.

Then i have often the Feeling life to Work.

12 Hours underway with work but @the little Freetime i have am i ever glad to be a Part of the Pandora Community ;)

In Germany,many People have often the Feeling that you life to Work and not work for Life.

12 Hours underway with work but @the little Freetime i have am i ever glad to be a Part of the Pandora Community ;)
That's why I'm all for supporting the drastically reduction of the average working time per person.

We've got enough unemployed people and would get more relaxed citizens in general who would finally have time for living culture and art and who would live longer again.

The problem is, that in the current tax and insurance situation, it's way more cheap to employ one person for 40h (or even 50h) than two persons for 20h per week.

That's why I'm all for supporting the drastically reduction of the average working time per person.

We've got enough unemployed people and would get more relaxed citizens in general who would finally have time for living culture and art and who would live longer again.

The problem is, that in the current tax and insurance situation, it's way more cheap to employ one person for 40h (or even 50h) than two persons for 20h per week.
I would have no Problems with working 30Hours in the Week,the Money is then enough too and you would life more.
;)

But with this working Time what i have,runs the Life away and i dont rekognize it much.

Day for Day,Week for Week,Year for Year.

And i say it again:

I am very Happy to be a Part of this great Community and was very very Happy to be on the Gamescom and helped a little bit ;)

A Hobby is very Important,then you can forget the Work for Sometime and help other People here ;)

They make privacy screens for a reason here in the US ;)

I guess these don't exist in Germany :)

The problem is,
Capitalism.
I have enough people around me blaming everything on capitalism. It's really annoying. Sure, the current political and economical systems need change. But "removing capitalism" is neither practical nor desirable.
(I have yet to find a word which describes my political opinions. Every fucking word I find has been misused by one or the other side. I'm for a state with the duty of ensuring a certain minimum freedom for every individual human, with the minimum constantly being adjusted so the differences between the least and most free humans don't become too big. Absolute freedom like proposed by "Anarchists"/"Liberals"/"Capitalists" is self destructing)

Communism hardly has a good record on the work-life balance either. So far western social democracy under capitalism seems to have the best record according to that metric in my experience - although it's middlingly good on most other empirical scales.

Every policial tribe gets disparaged by the opposing tribe. You sound strong liberal to me, t4b, though that word 'liberal' has long been misused by supposed educated people.

I have yet to find a word which describes my political opinions. Every fucking word I find has been misused by one or the other side.
Unless you come up with your own word or phrase, which will then probably be twisted by others to suit their use, this will always be the case.  Usually if it comes up and I feel like divulging my opinions I use terminology people know, and explain the caveats and what I mean specifically.  Using labels others know often saves time, but as you said it introduces confusion (which is entertaining sometimes), whereas the alternative of explaining in detail without common labels takes longer, but can be more precise, if the person is patient or cares enough to listen.  I feel both are good approaches, but it doesn't really matter, since everyone thinks they are right and those who disagree with them are wrong.

Absolute freedom like proposed by "Anarchists"/"Liberals"/"Capitalists" is self destructing
Your evidence?  Also, things in theory and things in practice are very different, and I can't recall any society that is purely one of those you listed.

Back