General Linux Help Question

fritata

What Linux distros can I install on my computer that require only one primary partition? My laptop already has 3 primary partitions, so I have issues when I try to dual boot it with openSUSE.

You can configure every linux distro to only use one partition.
Have a look at ubuntu and wubi and you won't need any new partition and can install it to a file from windows.

any Linux, - you just need to configure it. Some graphical installers are a pain in the ass though.

Its probably not openSUSE's fault but I have problemes booting my Slackware distribution ("Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)") on my laptop, since I installed openSUSE12.2. Haven't looked into it yet but I guess its because I installed LILO on the root partition and not the MBR. Any ideas? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Boot the Slack cd, mount the partition on /mnt, lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf

Then boot Slack, add the entry for SuSE, lilo again.

My typical set up was Ubuntu dual booted with Windows, but I wanted to switch to Chakra or openSUSE using my one primary partition left that had been occupied by Ubuntu.

EDIT: Also, I want to try to avoid using slackware and install it using Tribe (which may eat my hamster :( ).

Back